I got a milk machine! yippi! Now what??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stacy adams, Mar 20, 2008.

1. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

It's a a Delaval (sp?) style bucket (it's huge!) with attachments to milk two goats at the same time. Good Grief, I'm not even sure what everything on it's called! :blush2 Where the two inflations come together per goat, there's a valve that states "up for milking, down for cleaning"
    So my question is this.. do I need to be hauling to the barn, buckets of hot clorox water to clean them? Do you turn each thing off (the down position) in between goats and just slosh it in the clorox water? doesn't some of that stuff stay in there?
    Who knew this would be so confusing!! :help

2. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

:woohoo I am HAPPY for you but I dont know :nooo ,
    I had to do a lot of reading and get DH to set it all up for me but boy are you going to love it ! :biggrin

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you just bite the bullet and use it you will figure it out. Some answer :) Or like others do, come pick up your goatling...bring it with you and we can use it to milk my goats :) no swear, I do this for folks all the time! And after you milk my goats you will know how to use it....this works much better in about 3 months when I am milking alot, not just the 5 I am doing right now!

Are you talking about the inline shutoffs or the little stainless toggles on the black claw? If on the claw it's easy, pointing towards the inflation/teat they suck milk out of the udder. Pointed toward the bucket they suck water and flush/clean the lines.

Well I have water in the barn, but yes one bucket of soapy water, use automatic dishwashing liquid, it's no suds...then the other bucket bleach and water. If it stains your jeans it's way to strong. AFter you milk and empty your can of the milk. Clean the lid and the gasket in the soapy water, now clean the rim of the can just splash some soapy water onto it. Now put the lid back on the can, close the inline shutoffs and it will suck the soapy water through the hoses into your bucket, then slap them into the bleach water, to suck the bleach through...in our humidity having this last rinse contain bleach will keep mold out of your lines...weridly we get pink mold here.

It's nice to have a place to hang your lines and lid...over your sink etc....also nice to have something to hang your lines between does, I have a bridal (for horses) hook...looks like a small anchor with 4 instead of two hooks, this holds the two sets of inflations perfectly.

Congrats on all this, glad to see your herd moving along! Vicki

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

So, in between does, what do you do? (BTW the toggles are on the black claw - so thats what a claw is! :biggrin

5. NubianSoaps.com

I close the inline shutoffs...do you have those? and swish my inflations in the bleach water, then hang them on my bridal hook to drip between does.

Can with lid with pulsator....milk lines, air lines, inline shutoffs, autoclaws, shells with inflations in them. :) Vicki

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Congratulations Stacy!!! I am happy for you.

7. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

We have the inline shutoffs but they aren't in (yet).
    And I guess I'm going to have to get me a bridal hook! I wonder if my "horsey' sister has an extra.. hmmmm
    Thanks Vicki!!

Thanks Sondra, you know, sometimes those DH's just have to do things their way!! :)

8. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Congrads Stacy! I cant wait to get one!
    Theresa

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Some day Stacy I will have a nice bucket different than my old surge but for now am thankful I even have a machine :)

10. NubianSoaps.com

So how did it go???? Vicki

11. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Well, it hasn't gone yet! I think I'll try this weekend when I'm not so rushed to get to work.. that and I didn't need milk for the babies ;)
    I didn't want to waste any milk screwing things up... :crazy