I feel HORRIBLE

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Qvrfullmidwife, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

We usually do not dam raise but bottle raise instead but this year for varied reasons we left a kid born in October on her dam.

She is now old enough to wean and we have separated her from her momma. We need the milk! :D

That was 3 days ago.

Poor baby has screamed herself hoarse. She sounds pathetic, she really has no voice left at this point! :sniffle

And all of my children are saying NEVER AGAIN to dam raising if weaning is this traumatic! :/

The last time we dam raised the kids werent nearly as traumatized...or vocal... :nooo

of COURSE!!! "Last time" they were lamanchas! THIS time we are talking...yep, you got it, a NUBIAN. ;)

2. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

I didnt have any trouble Dam raising last year. What I did was from day one she needed some special attention so I brought her in the first couple of nights anyways and tube fed her, and then since it was my only milking do she was separated every night after that so I could milk in the mornings. She would make a few closed mouth bleats once and a while (mom made the most fuss, but it was brief and she wasnt the one in the house with me!!LOL) but separating or weaning was never a big fuss since she was used to being away at night anyways. It was a nubian doe and kid. So I am sure it depends on the goats personality too. I am sure they are all different. I will be doing the same thing this year most likely, we'll see how it goes.
    Sorry your poor kid is so upset. Does it have buddies with it for company??
    Patina

3. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

It is a good idea to separate at night like JB does. It makes it a bit more gradual for all of you. It doesn't give you all of the milk but it does give you quite a bit. In time you could start separating them sooner at night and then going out a few hours later to milk a bit - also grain your doe heavy at night and see if that doesn't up her production for morning milkings. Good luck.

Anne

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep I always separated at night after 2 weeks and they were just fine.
    Is she in with others her age? she will ajust probably take a week . BeyBee when she came her was the same way even with a friend and she wasn't even on her dam prior

5. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Maybe I wasnt clear...it is separating at night that she is protesting! They are together all day, she SCREAMS all night! And no, she is not by herself, but with another friend her age, even another one with ears!

6. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

I think some babies just take it better than others...I had twins that I wanted to wean and the buckling (well wether by then) took everything in stride and the doeling would stand by the fence screaming long after she was hoarse. I felt bad but then I'd look at her brother and tell her she was over-reacting. Maybe it's a girl thing?

7. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Well, if I dam raise a kid, they start sleeping apart from their dams at 2 weeks of age. Use tough love - she will get use to it.

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I think it's a Nubian thing. I dam raise some of my kids and when it's weaning time, they holler. Sometimes the dams do, too. Then I get to hear goats in stereo. Even if they rarely nurse anymore by that time, they hate being moved from the main pen to the baby pen til they get used to it. Then, there's Mimi, my little mini Nubian. She was dam raised to 2 1/2 months old. In order to tame her, I started bottle feeding her twice a day. That kid did not want to be weaned from her bottle, even though there were days she didn't finish it, preferring her grain. She has two voices - her little Nigerian bleat when she's just talking. Then there's her Nubian yell when she wants something. Even though she hasn't had a bottle for almost a month, she still hollers in the morning.

9. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

We are not going to dam-raise this year. I found that the weaning of those dam-raised brats never ends! As long as my does are still in milk, those kids never forget or give up! And those does are such good moms, they let those kids nurse after being apart (for 3 months!). I don't have such a set up as they can't hear, see or smell one another. All of my fences are joined. We've had them nursing through gates and cattle panels! :( All are bred now and I still see doelings trying to grab a teat. Of course, most of the time, the does won't let them have any. My La Manchas are always the loudest and worst cry babies!

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

My does all seem to wean their kids by the time they are rebred. If I want one to stay in milk, I need to pull the kids. I learned this the hard way. Her first freshening, my Snubian, Miracle decided to wean her twin doelings when they were about 4 months old. I assumed they were just drinking more as they grew. I then pulled them to milk mom and and she was dry. She now comes in twice a day, even with kids on her, but doesn't have the length of lactation she would have if I'd done this her first freshening.

11. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

What I have done in the past ( I no longer dam raise) that has worked well for me is just tape their teats, & tape 'em well. I'll also do this on does that I let nurse a buck kid that's headed for the freezer. usually after a couple of weeks, he'll quit trying.

12. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

This has nothing to do with weaning kids, but I have one adult LaMancha doe that has gone hoarse a couple of times. She is the only hollerer I have and after kidding she offers her opinion on who should be first to get milked. I prefer to milk them by senority, the older does have earned their place in line...but this one doe, Glennis, a FF, was so annoying and loud and finally hoarse and voiceless that I had to pity her and put her first in line. Silly girl.

13. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

It must be a LaMancha thing Diane... Imagine that! She must have screamed her ears off. :crazy

14. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

:rofl

15. Katarina

Katarina New Member

ROFLOL!!! Screamed her own ears off!!!!!!

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

:rofl :rofl :rofl