Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there who is afraid to draw blood, it is SOOO easy. I drew blood for the first time today. You just press your thumb beside the esophagus and the vein pops right up! Mom usually does all this, but I wanted to try today. We are sending in blood on the two newer goats for CAE and testing a couple for pregnancy at the same time.

Also gave my first shot (the last of Toggy's antibiotic round). :biggrin

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
:biggrin GOOD FOR YOU!! All it takes is the want-to to try it. We keep telling everyone it's easy! I'd rather draw blood on a goat, anyday...over other species! They're "jugs" are like water hoses!
Kaye

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Congrats
I am so lucky I get to help as Theresa (nurse) does the actual drawing of the blood. I hold the goat and watch :) Cause you know she needs to keep in practice

G

·
Sondra said:
Congrats
I am so lucky I get to help as Theresa (nurse) does the actual drawing of the blood. I hold the goat and watch :) Cause you know she needs to keep in practice
Nice excuse Sondra. .......Just joking. :rofl

-Kim

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
But hey Kim I am bleeding it for all it is worth :)
and believe you me I still need more leasons , think probably at least this next year then I can advance to pushing on the vein so it will puff up and she can get the needle in. HA!!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Good job!

I like slip syringes best with 20 X 1 inch needles. Or I should say Rebah likes them best- she does most of the bloodletting, maybe she'll be a phlebotomist some day ;)

Great link, Kaye! My vet just sells me boxes of tubes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts