I did it!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Little Moon, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

As the subject says - I did it! I disbudded two babies today. I am a sick over it. Usually this type of stuff doesn't bother me - I hunt, I butcher my own chickens, I can watch Dr. G while eating supper, but hurting those babies really bothers me. I just need to get tough about it, but right now my heart is heavy and I feel like a bully or something. Tell me it gets better. :shudder

~Anne

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

One baby with horns will make you forget about the 8 seconds it takes to disbud them. Trust me on this one.
    Reason I tattoo and disbud at the same time....only torture them once. After some milk they forgive you. ;)
    Kaye

3. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Yep the first 1's are the hardest...I cried the first 1 I did and then it just got easier after that...they do forgive you once they get a full tummy...and some lovin too....hang in there it does get easier...

4. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

I haven't disbudded any babies on my own yet. We only had our first babies here in January, and a good friend did the deed for me. I felt like a heel, too. They seemed to get over it fine, though and within a few minutes they didn't act like anything at all had happened. Just watching them get burned and hearing them scream made me feel rotten, but I agree - wouldn't want any horns around here. Ask me about it when I actually wield the disbudding iron, though... :/
    Kathy

5. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Pardon my language, but crap!! I forgot to tattoo them! I was so stressed about disbudding I totally forgot. I am not new to goats, but I am new to registered goats and all that goes along with them. :bang Now I will really feel rotten when I hurt them all over again! I am such a dork!!! Ok can anyone tell me if you tattoo the ones you don't plan on registering???

~Anne

6. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I dont tattoo the 1's im not registering ...why waste the ink...

7. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Naaa, Ink is Cheap! If you are new tattoo all those whethers first for practice, then do the Bucklings and Doelings.

8. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I plan on tatooing my soon-to-be wether. He is half Alpine and half Nigerian. He can't be registered although he looks awesome. Takes after the alpine side. :sigh I had the same thought of practicing with him. He is the first one ever born on the farm.

I also disbudded for the first time about a week ago. Yicks! I got help though. The woman (dairy goat breeder in my area) did one side and talked her way through it so I could watch and learn. Then I did the other side with her supervision, which was greatly appreciated. I was SO nervous. She then had me apply an Aloe vera gel and it cooled his head down quite nicely. Phew. I was glad it was over with until next season. That is until......

My friend that just bought a pregnant goat, maybe two preg. wants me to disbud the kids when they are born. Yicks! I said okay. *sweating with nerves for when that day comes*.

It is not easy the first few times. But we can do it! Right?! :D

9. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Some really nice people were here yesterday evening and picked out a boer buckling they wanted. He is only about a week old so when they said they wanted him disbudded I said, "O.K. :lightbubl You guys can help while you are here." The Mama was soft hearted and had to leave the barn :shudder. Just could not stand to see or hear the baby. Daddy and daughter stayed to learn how. Daughter gave the baby a shot of banamine as he was just the absolute drama baby anyway (SHaking head... those boers and Nubians are the worst at drama :rolleyes I was that way the first year I disbudded the babies too. It just KILLED me to hurt those babies and still today it is my LEAST favorite thing to do, but yes... you do toughen up. Congrats on another step and hang in there... it will get easier.

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Ditch that aloe vera jel!!! If you think you just HAVE to put something on the head...then use a spray POWDER. Nitrofurazone spray, aluminum spray, anything that is DRY. Nothing wet. Even blue spray, (though, I hate that stuff and there isn't enough of anything in it to be called an antibiotic.) There is a joke amongst vets that it helps the owner think they're doing something...when all they're doing is dieing the dang wound.

What is the one thing that aloe vera is used for.....TO HEAL BURNS! You don't want to HEAL it. You want it to form a scab and fall off.

By all means practice tattooing on weathers, cull meat kids, anything to make sure you get the tattoo right in the DOES! LOL...I have even tattooed upside down ... not cool.
    Kaye

11. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Does it mean I am a terrible person because disbudding baby goats doesn't bother me and never has? :rofl

Good for you Anne - you'll be an old pro in no time.

Sara

12. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:biggrin NAW....just means you've had to deal with a kid with horns, somewhere in your past!! :rofl

Me, either...I figure that 8 seconds is worth a lot more to me than the hrs. of tromping through the pasture to get that little "darling" out of the fence...or worse yet, hrs. spent stitching up the aftermath of someone being ripped with them! Not to mention the high $$ hay feeders built for "goats with no horns"!
    :biggrin
    Kaye

13. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

since the kids I have this year are kinda expendable (could be registered La Manch grades, but probably won't be) I think I want to try the cut the x and take out the bud thing when they are first born. Tracy showed me where she is doing her disbudding with the iron when I picked up my goats, but the more I think about it, the more I think those little not quite strong newborns, a scalpel, and a little burn with the iron will do nicely. and of course some fural afterward and a bottle of colostrum!

14. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

LOL, I spray mine with Furall, cause I think it's kinda cool when it sizzles on their head ;) I figure it helps cool it off anyhow.

Good job, Anne! It gets easier as you do it. By the end of the kidding season when you have already done 30 or so, you start to feel like you could just chew the dang horn buds off with your teeth!

Kaye, how'd you get them upside down? Doing them from behind? I know one of the does I got from Jonathan had them in opposite ears than she was supposed to :) Had to send them in to be changed - was glad I did before she won a leg. Oh hey, Dedza has her herd tattoo upside down too!
    I actually hate tattooing more than disbudding. I inevitably get stuck with the needles while I am pulling ears off the pliers.

Tracy

15. Truly

Truly New Member

Tracy, I liked the way you described that. I knew exactly what you were talking about. I spray, let it stop, then spray again until it doesn't sizzle anymore. It does take me back thinking about how hot their heads must be to boil that liquid.

16. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

That is why I liked the idea of the aloe vera. It cools it down and takes the hurt away. I did not consider it as a healing agent. Although I suppose that is one of its qualities. The buckling we did this too by the way looks fine. Thanks for the input on it though.