I did it - pelvic check!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Feb 28, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Wow! So glad for all that discussion a few weeks ago about getting in there and checking things out. IT WORKED JUST LIKE Y'ALL SAID. I am soo glad I checked right as soon as she really was dilated and pushing. That buckling had his head turned off to the side and it would have been much harder to correct if things had been really tight and piled up. As it was it took a little time, moving slowly, but was not all that difficult. Having your descriptions was like a road map, I knew where I was. :D There was plenty of room for me to put my arm in. I put my knee under her belly like Vicki described and only went in about mid forearm to reach the back.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Good for you. And buy doing this more often you will be able to feel when things are not right way before you have a problem. Did your doe in this story spend more time than usual getting up and down, rubbing her sides on the barn or fence, sort of flouncing down when she was getting down to nest? Usually does with problem kids inside do alot of this before they finally settle down and start pushing.

With the head back and to the side, if she had pushed he would have been jammed up tight, you would have had to really push back to even get the head to turn which it would have kept snapping back into that position...then chains or a tie to use as a halter to pull the head into position and lots of pulling. See how much eaiser it is to check right as she pushes? Great job! vicki

3. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

No odd behaviour out of her. I was watching for things like rubbing against the wall and bouncing. I remembered you saying that last year. :lol The only indication I had that things were off was the long labor and very slow dilation. She seemed strong and stable through out so I was suspicious that poor presentation was the reason for slow dilation.