I am new, with a question.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by yonderhill, Jan 6, 2009.

1. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Suprise, suprise.. a new person with a question. :O
    First to introduce myself.. My name is Jennah, I along with my husband and 2 small children have just wrapped up our first breeding season with our small herd of Nigerians.
    We have no buck at this time (will be getting 2 in the spring..For Sure!)
    My question relates to my soon to be 2nd freshener.. We brought her to the buck to be bred, she has been there for 3 weeks, after being there for a week and a half she developed Pinkeye (red, irritated, cloudy) was acting somewhat depressed ect..
    After reading everything and I mean everything on this subject, and speaking to other breeders and a vet I decided to treat with a short course of LA 200. My reason being that if it were Chlamydia related I did not want her to come back and spread the love so to speak to the other does and risk an abortion storm in the spring. But at teh same time the breeder where she is staying has not witnessed her being bred. So we treated at 3.5cc/100# SID for 3 days. She is stellar now looks great and feels great.
    I am going to assume that she was bred (She was in the begining of a heat cycle 12/14 the day we brought her.. and she is like clockwork with a 20 day cycle, she has yet to display another heat cycle) My question is ..How much damage I have I done if she was bred at teh time the LA 200 was given? I know that you are not supposed to touch the does with even a 10 ft pole within the first 30 days of being bred but I felt that I had to do what was best for all the does.
    But hindsight is 20/20, I have been unable to pinpoint any statistics regarding tertacycline use in the first 10 days of pregnancy and was just hoping someone may have information on what I could possibly expect.
    I am planning on preg testing her to see if she is indeed bred and try to pinpoint a time frame (she was pen bred)
    Sorry this was so long, Thank you
    Jennah S

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You won't find any 'scientific' knowledge about your questions alot of conjecture that since mollated teeth was the result of tetracycline use in teens for acne, that this somehow causes bone and teeth problems in goat kids if used when they are young or in utero. And I am sure you will find an abortion or two blamed on it's use in pregnancy of a goat.

The real answer is nobody knows and since the fetus's weren't even implanted yet I would think the idea of problems in kids is moot.

What I would do if I were you would be to go to goatkeeping 101 and read on Tim's dosages of oral tetracycline and put your bred doe (if you feed together it won't hurt the whole group) onto the aureomycin crumbles until she has kidded...then withdraw her from it so you can use her milk.

You can 'push back' symptoms of chlamydia or mycoplasma pinkeye in a doe, this does not mean that 3 days is enough to treat her of it in her body if it is going to rear it's head later as mastitis, pnemonia or abortion at 100 days pregnant. Vicki

3. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Thank you Vicki! According to Tim's information he suggests starting 4-6 weeks prior to kidding but also states that some people feed year round.. I definetly do not want to contribute to antibiotic resistance Do you think it is adequate to follow the 4-6 week guidelines or should I start right away.?
    Thank you again
    Jennah S

4. Hi, Welcome to Dairy Goat Info. My name is Amy, I own Nubians and Pygmy Goats. :)

5. NubianSoaps.com

Jennah that would be in a dairy situation, or for profilactic use, you know you had pinkeye, your does are bred....the two go hand in hand and if you wait you will likely have abortions at 100 days.

At no other time will you use antibiotics to cause resistance to them in your herd, this is one time you really should.

I also use antibiotics rarely, but if this was me my whole herd would be on them until spring when everyone had kidded. Including my bucks. Vicki

6. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Thank you for the great information.. I will start them straight away!

7. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

ughhh.. you would think living in a town with ample cattle farmers our local supply stores would have this available :mad...Guess I will have to order it, just hate to pay the shipping which is double the price of the product :sigh

8. NubianSoaps.com

Make sure you ask if they can order it for you. The crumbles are in the calf section of their order catalogs, my feed store doesn't carry it either but he can throw a 50 pound bag on the order and it will be here in a week. Or order from jefferspet.com Vicki

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hi and WELCOME!! you won't go wrong listening to Vicki :)

10. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

I am just going to order it.. Sondra.. This is why after 6 months of reading posts I finally joined, Wanted to see what Vicki would say:) But trust me you are no slouch either! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!!

11. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Just wanted to say HI and welcome to the forum!
    Theresa