I am needing to order copper bolus. WHERE?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

I have never boliused my goats and the vet hasn't ever done it either but he agrees that it is one of the things I could do to help old Molly. She is not eating minerals like she should.
    She has now lost all her hair.

I can't remember where you get yours and our vet does not carry them.
    He also wants to know if it helps her.
    He is a very nice young man. He says he learns more from the local farmers than he did in vet school. Or almost.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Think jeffers carries them or valley vet

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Jefferspets.com
    Copusure Calf boluses. The gel caps I ordered off internet for like $10/500. Some one else gave me the addy...maybe they'll see this and chime in.
    Kaye

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I got my gel caps up at the health food store

5. Corky

Corky New Member

I looked up that addy on line and they do have the bolus but they are 25 for nearly $33.
    That can't be what you are talking about.

6. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

The Copasure bolus are 25 for $33.00. The gel caps they are referring to is so that you can adjust the amount that you are giving your goats (some only require 1/2 the amount in the calf bolus). We just give the whole bolus to our girls, but our Saanens and Boers are big big girls.

Camille

7. Corky

Corky New Member

OK, but where do I get the gel caps?
    I live in a very rural area and ther are no health food stores here.

I will have to order on line.

8. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

9. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

i saw the copasure at atwoods. I bought my copasure and gel caps online though. You might check at a pharmacy for gel caps... I don't know if you can buy them from there or not.

10. Corky

Corky New Member

We do have an Atwoods. I may have to check there.

I put that vet supply addy in and got hit with a spy warning and lock up. I have scans going now to hopefully clear it up.

11. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Well I don't know why that happened! You can go to Valley Vet and type copasure in the search box, select 12.5 and end up on that page. They have free shipping on a lot of things.

Christy

12. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

We buy vegetarian capsules from www.iherb.com. You can also get them on ebay.

Tamera

13. Corky,
    send me your name/address by PM & I'll just mail you some, already made goat-sized for Molly.
    susie, mo ozarks

14. Rose

Rose New Member

You can get the empty gel caps at the pharmacy, especially one of the old fashioned ones who still compound medications themselves. They will, however, look at you squint eyed and ask what you want them for. Illegal drug dealers buy them, too. :help

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Take Susie up on that!!! :) Susie your a doll

16. I'll be dropping boluses into the mail Monday for Miss Molly. Hopefully they will be exactly what she needs. Corky, I'm going to add some extras (enough for another go-round later for Molly or even for a copper needing friend)
    susie, mo ozarks

17. Corky

Corky New Member

:D Love you Suzie! I thank you and Molly thanks you.

18. Corky

Corky New Member

As I have never done copper boluses before I have a question.

Explain to me about the capsules as I got the impression the ones you buy are empty.
    How do you get the stuff to fill them with and how do you know how much of whatever to put in them?

I am sure this has been discused before but I don't have the greatest memory any more.

19. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

I ordered the ones off Jeffers listed above, which are huge! Then I picked up the empty ones from eBay. You break open all the big ones and put the contents into the small ones. Now as how much to give I will let someone with more experience answer that.

20. Corky, keep an eye out for the mail man. I sent a dozen goat-sized boluses & a pill syringe your way.
    Sure hope Molly begins to feel better.
    susie, mo ozarks