I am guessing bug bites, or something similar

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by paulaswrld, Jul 8, 2008.

1. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Hey...several of my does (they are clipped) have little raised bumps on them, some much more than others. I am going to go out and take pics in a bit. Could they just be bites of some sort? Do I need to put something on them. I did not have this last year at all. The bumps are very sporatic. The girls to spend a good part opf each day in the deep woods and of course we are in Tennessee...the land of bugs. Honestly, when we moved here 3 years ago from Maryland I was in major culture shock and even now still see new and interesting bugs.

Paula

2. mysacrificenubians

mysacrificenubians New Member

You are right about the bugs Paula! And the culture shock! I moved from NY to West TN in 1980 and it was like moving to a foreign country. Within a week I saw the first engorged tick on our dog and had we had no clue what it was. The movers showed us how to take it off :blush
    As for the bugs, this year had been a little worse than what I call "normal", last year wasn't bad I guess because of the drought. 2006 was horrid. I had never had so many flies and I cleaned out the shed every few days.
    When the gnats and black flies are really bad I spray the girls with a dairy spray down their back and it gives them some relief (I hope) The bugs just circle but don't land. During the worst of the day the goats stay in the darkest part of the shed. They will come out if it's windy during the day and then in the evening after the sun goes down a bit.
    The newest addition to the strange bugs we've seen are what we call "Texas" grasshoppers. They are black with red or yellow "pin" stripes and get as big as your hand :eek The chickens won't touch them alive (or dead).

3. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

hehehehe.....the big ticks....we had the same thing...my son stepped on one on the stairs and we were all just like "WHAT"!!! blood went everywhere...where are we??? is all we keep asking ourselves....oh...and the "stink bugs" ew..

Paula

4. MBKTown

MBKTown Guest

Please post your pictures. I have a little doe with bumps as well. A few are slightly crusty but they don't seem to be bothering her at all.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Give her a good brushing and make sure it isn't hair from shaving. But sure you will have mosquito, chigger, red bugs, noseeums, wasps, ticks (thankfully we rarely have these) horse flies, biting flies on your goats or yourself. Benedryl if you see them itching, which will then make them crusty. I just wouldn't do much more than that. Vicki