I am concerned...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Legend Hills, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

My young doe, born in March, sounds as if she can barely "talk". I first noticed it yesterday afternoon and figured it might be because she had been bleating alot because food was later than normal. I have no idea if this is true because we had to leave town that morning for a couple of hours. This morning, at feeding time, knowing that she did not make a sound throughout the night... she still sounds like she has larengitis (sp?). No one else sounds like this. They are fine. She eats fine, acts fine. I have not taken temp yet, about to now.

Should I give her some Pen? What could this be? It has me concerned.

Thanks

-Kim

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

If she does not have a high temp, then I would not start her on any antibiotics just yet.

Whim

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

:yeahthat no temp, no antibiotics.. if all else is well, just the voice is gone, then I personally wouldn't do anything at the moment. I've had kids that moved out of the main barn (boys) who cried/screamed for 3 days and got somewhat hoarse but never did loose his voice entirely, which just shows the tenacity of those Blissberry kids :biggrin

4. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

She has not been moved to a new yard, and I am only guessing that she might have cried herself hoarse. Now I wonder if it could be something else. ???

I took the temp of a healthy doe that is only a month older. It is a hot day today.

Healthy Doe: 103.8

Other doe: 104.4

Hotter temp than I would have thought, but comparing it to Healthy doe, not that big of a difference. I don't know what to do. Pen injection or not to pen inject. If yes, how much? I also noticed this hotter doe's hair feels a little coarse. Not much but it also worries me. It is just another sign of poor health. I am leaning towards the Pen, but do not want to do anything I shouldn't. Should I give her something else entirely? I am concerned.

5. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

I have had several lose their voices from hollering. I had a FF last year that hollered til she lost her voice and a kid the year before. It went away.

I would check temps a few more times. The warmer doe could have been laying in the sun. If the hoarse goat is not coughing, I would not be as worried. If it were my goat, I would not give antibiotics at this point in my assessment.

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

she may holler herself hoarse if she's in heat.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

We all know how you feel, you have this symptom and you want to do something about it. Sure if you take her to the vet you will go home with 7 things to do, which really are all busy work. You don't want to use antibiotics unless you have to because if you use them for this or that, first they really aren't doing anything but secondly when you need to use them they no longer work as well or biggy as quickly. I would bet all my does in this humidity and heat have over 103 as normal temps, it's really why the first thing you do when someone is ailing is take not only her temp but penmates.

Alot of what we do in goats is wait and watch. Take temps for awhile and watch them. But there really isn't an upper respiratory disease that starts with hoarsness. Vicki

8. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Thank you Vicki. I did not want to use the Pen until I had to for the same reasons that you mentioned. But in my limited experience I did not know if now was one of those times. Well it looks like it is not. So I will wait and watch and keep track of temps. Thank you all so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

:)