I already have a question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Gunnie, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Gunnie

Gunnie Member

:help2 I just got our goats today and I already have a few questions. I have two little doelings that are 8 weeks today and their grammy who is 6. The lady I purchased them from uses natural methods. She gave me some of the Mollys herbal wormer to use when I got home is this enough? Should I worm them with something else? I gave them some probos and some vi-tal in the water. Is there more I need to give them? (I guess Im just worried about them being stressed from the trip.) The older one has had some hay and grain. I thought that the doelings were weaned from mom but found out they were not so I tried giving them a bottle but they wouldnt take it and I am going out later to try again. Im also going to try a bucket. Is there more that I need to do.They did nibble on grain and hay though and drank water. Since this is a forced wean so to speak is it ok to do so now or should I use milk from the older one to feed them for a bit yet and gradually wean them? The older one was only getting milked once a day. Can I get it back to 2 times a day? Im just really worried about screwing up I guess. (maybe its from reading so many stories of what can go wrong) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gunnie

Gunnie Member

Oh I forgot to add the doelings have a bit of a cough. Not a constant but everyonce and a while they have it. The previous owner said she thinks its from the dust around her house. What should i look for incase its something else?

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Oh geeze......First if you would have told me you were picking up 8 week dam raised kids I would have told you to PASS. Unless she is going to wean them at 12 weeks. Next, does she fecal to know that the herbal wormers work? No. And of course you are never going to be able to force feed milk to these kids. Is their grammy is milk? Perhaps if you put her up on the milkstand you can get the kids to nurse her? And my biggest peeve....why are you not able to ask her these questions. She gave you herbal wormer but didn't teach you to fecal? She sells 8 week old kids that are only nibbling on hay and grain? I would call her in the morning, tell her these kids are too young to wean because they are not eating anything! Take them back and pick them up at 12 weeks. Let her get through the worms and cocci from the stress of weaning, not you, being new!

Then order your corid and your Cydectin...read my paper on from birth to weaning in goatkeeping 101. Take a weigh tape with you and if those 3 month old kids aren't 38 pounds pass on them...they are ruined. Right now at 8 weeks old they should be 28 pounds. And those are minimums.

I am so sorry your first goat owning is going to be like this. Vicki

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Although, like Vicki said, it can be difficult and sometimes impossible to get a dam raised 8 week old kid to take a bottle, I have done it. When I worked for a goat breeder, the year her health got bad and she sold many of her dairy goats, she sent some first fresheners to a dairy who had been raising kids. The babies ranged in age from 2-8 weeks old. While she was hauling them across the country, I had the job of caring for the babies. The youngest were the easiest, of course, but I did manage to get most of the oldest kids to take a bottle or the lambar. Then, last summer, Mimi, my little mini Nubian came to live with me when she was 11 weeks old. Though she was eating hay and grain well at that time, she was also wild and I wanted to tame her. I got her to take to the bottle after being off her dam half a day. She wanted that milk. One of those pop bottle nipples on a 20 oz soft drink bottle works better than a human baby bottle. Grammy's milk would be the best for them. If you can't get them to take the bottle or to feed off Grammy, then I agree with Vicki and see if the breeder will keep them another four weeks for you. Though some folks do wean kids that young, it's better for them to be older when weaned. I won't let any dam raised doelings go at 8 weeks old unless I am selling them with their dam. I can't believe that woman would sell you kids that young without getting them trained to a bottle first and then showing you how to feed them. Kathie

5. Gunnie

Gunnie Member

Thanks for the help. The older one is letting the little ones nurse off of her on the stand. They are eating grain and hay and stuff around the pen. Im not milking her all the way out incase she lets them nurse at other times. Is this ok for her not to be milked out all the way? Is it ok for them to only nurse in the morning and at night? Thanks again.

I am not able to take the little ones back I would be charged per day to do so to keep them there. So I guess Im learning as I go. :)

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Thats wonderful! After the kids nurse I would milk her all the way out at least once a day. The continuously make milk, so if they do try to nurse after that there is always some milk. Vicki

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

If you're letting the kids nurse all they want off the doe twice a day, they should be fine. When my bottle babies turn 8 weeks, they are given 2 bottles a day, as much as they will take up to a liter each. Kathie

8. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Yes but milk the doe completely out morning and night after the kids nurse. This will help keep her milking. She might dry up from the move. She probably is not letting the kids nurse when she is off the stand.

Watch out for the cough as it could well be pneumonia - keep a look out for runny nose or general unthriftiness.

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Get a fecal sample...2-3 berries from each kid...take these to a vet. Have a fecal run on them and see if the wormer is working. :really
    Have the vet check for coccidia while they're at it. Then you have a starting point.
    Kaye

10. Gunnie

Gunnie Member

Ok now how do I get them to drink our water? Last night they didnt even touch the water is there anything I can put in it to make them want it more? We have a bucket with plain water and another with vi-tal and neither was touched.

I also have another problem the little ones are starting to get loose stools. Its not compleatly runny yet but kinda cowpieish (if that makes sense) What can I start giving them to help with this. Im getting worried because I dont want them to dehydrate not drinking water and now this starting.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

COCCI meds 9sufla or corid for the loose stools put koolade in the water or gator ade mine like the strawberry.

12. Gunnie

Gunnie Member

Thanks everyone for all their help. The girls are all adjusting nicely.