I actually ate one of my goats

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by swgoats, Aug 18, 2013.

1. swgoats

swgoats New Member

I remembered you taking the plunge Sully. It inspired me. I really feel alot better about it versus dumping them on craigslist and not knowing what kind of home they've got.

2. punchiepal

punchiepal Member

Me too.
    We had something like 2/3 boys this year. Thankfully, some of the breedings were spaced that we allowed them to grow to about 12-16 weeks then butchered them, so we didn't have too many in the barn at once.

Since most of them were ND's I just gutted/skinned them and put in the freezer whole. Then I take out the big white electric turkey roaster and cook them in there. Works wonderful. Even though they are small we still get 2-3 meals for a family of 4 doing BBQ sandwiches or tacos.

3. dragonlair

dragonlair New Member

I was thinking about taking one of my does to be bred to a friends Boer buck for meat kids, but then figured with my luck the way it is, she would produce doe kids. I still can't bring myself to raise a doe for meat, so I guess I'll just stay with dairy bucklings for the freezer.

4. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

I am glad to see people using their products. It is a shame to raise such wonderful animals and not utilize them completely. Goat meat is 40% less fat than chicken without the skin! It is very lean and we love it around here. We have purchased 5 Boer goats for our family's use - we will breed them to our Nubian buck because I don't want to risk having a Boer buck here for a mishap with one of our dairy does.

One of our favorite ways of preparing it is to season with McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasonings and wrap in tin foil and smoke it on low heat for 4 or 5 hours. YUM!

5. Greylady

Greylady New Member

That sounds good Tim, what are some other ways to cook it?

6. fmg

fmg New Member

We marinaded ours overnight and then bbq'd in foil at about 325-350. It turned out good!