I actually ate one of my goats

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by swgoats, Aug 18, 2013.

1. swgoats

swgoats New Member

And it was GOOD:eek: I had two that didn't sell/couldn't sell from last year, and we decided to just eat them. My husband has a hunter friend, and they took them to his place to do the deed. Brought me back packaged meat and hides. We had burgers tonight, and I have to say it was better than any beef burger I've had in awhile!

2. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

Yep, it is good. Had some smothered goat chops (one of my goats) at a pot luck the other night and everybody got pretty tickled when I told them I had known the dinner personally. Are you going to tan the hide?

3. swgoats

swgoats New Member

I found a taxidermist. I'm hoping to just send the hides out, as I have so many projects going. Not sure what I'll do with them, but they are pretty. I hated to just let them go to waste. One was just a brown buck with the black trim, but the other was my hermie (thinking she was actually freemartin now) - she was black in front, brown in back with matching white spots on each side. It's a pretty hide. I didn't sleep too well knowing today was the day, but I think now that we've done it once, we can do it again more easily. We're already talking about keeping our Nubian wethers next year to raise for meat - which is part of why I wanted to breed Nubians. Two yearling Mini Nubians made 24 lbs - and we split it with the friend. Still it's a few meals in the freezer, so not so bad.

4. doublebowgoats

Good idea about sending the hides off. I've heard that brain tanning is the best but I really cannot imagine taking a brain and putting it in my blender and slathering it on. I'm just not there yet. It is something I would like to do though...eventually.

5. swgoats

swgoats New Member

The taxidermist came back and said it would be $235 for the pair. :/ So I think I'm going to order the kit from Hoeggars...

6. PrairieTrail45

PrairieTrail45 New Member

Yikes! We had two hides tan and a tortoise shell done for $225, granted I am in a different state and we had to wait about 6 months to get it back. Glad you found your goats tasty. I have eaten a few, plan to put another in the freezer this fall. They are really good if they are smoked too.

7. Greylady

Greylady New Member

Have yet to eat one of ours. Is there any place to find recipes on how to cook it?

8. swgoats

swgoats New Member

This website has alot of info and recipes - http://www.jackmauldin.com/cooking_with_goat.html

Main thing is to cook it slowly. I cooked my burgers on medium-low flame and cooked them well done. I pressed them out thin. They were just right.

9. Island Creek Farm

Island Creek Farm New Member

We gave away whethers last year as companions to people who bought milkers. One owner allowed theirs in the house, on couch etc until he got big then was a problem, I told them to just drop him off at the processors.

A few months later they brought me a hog we had traded breedings for (processed) and I was making these cute little pork chops one night that just looked non-porky, more like venison. Didn't think of it much (pastured pork). Called her the next day and asked, well...it was the couch sitting whether, she had forgotten to tell me she added some in. Probably the best way to try it for the first time. It was good, tasted almost exactly like (doe) venison. Now I have a buck that I won't use next year, may send him off to be processed since there is no market for bucks here, but I'm afraid he'll be gamey. Could I castrate after this breeding season and process in spring?

10. doublebowgoats

I was wanting to know that too. i am wanting to use a couple of my bucks this fall but don't want to keep them all winter.

11. swgoats

swgoats New Member

I don't know if banding them late would eradicate gamey taste or not. The buck we ate was a year old, and he wasn't gamey, but he hadn't really got to rutting yet. He was just doing a little peeing on his legs. If it were me, I'd baulk at paying registration expenses for a goat I was planning to eat. Especially ADGA fees that are so high. But I guess it's a small expense compared to the kids you'd get. I'm going to start breeding for purebred Nubians this year, and unless somebody reserves a buck, I think we're going to wether and let them nurse all summer so we can have some real good eating. I'm thinking they'll be more valuable to us that way. Mini wethers, it's just not worth it.

12. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

We put our bucklings in the freezer this year. Yummy! Easier than trying to sell them and not much of a cost in them. I had two does that needed to go (problems). We put them into sausage. Again, yummy!

13. adillenal

adillenal New Member

We don't process animals other than chickens, so the expense of having a goat done is not worth it to me. Especially since I don't really care for goat meat other than sausage. So we sell ours and raise a steer and a hog every year instead. But we do find lots of uses for the milk.

14. punchiepal

punchiepal Member

We processed a 4 yo ND buck a few years ago on a warm December day. He had gotten a bath before processing and the sausage tasted mighty good!!
    All the boys we have put in the freezer have been intact, ages 4 months - 4 yo. Some used for breeding, some not. Some just ground and others were sausage.

15. IndyGardenGal

IndyGardenGal New Member

Look into the battery acid method of tanning. I've heard the other methods don't have good results like the battery acid method. At least for home tanning.

16. fmg

fmg New Member

I butchered and ate a goat this weekend as well. One of mine. And it was mighty delicious! This Mexican guy prepared 2 different marinades for it, and we bbq'd it in tin foil. Turned out great and the folks at the bbq loved it! :)

17. fmg

fmg New Member

Mine was a 5 month old mini alpine and I got over 20 lbs of meat off him after removing head, skin, organs, and pulling as much meat off bones as possible (so does not include weight of spine, ribs, etc, but I did leave the bones in the legs, and there was probably a little meat on lower legs that just got chopped off...I don't claim to be an expert butcher by any means :D). I'm not sure if that is good or not. I didn't keep the neck meat as when we shot and slit his throat the blood got on his neck and my husband set him in the gravel, so it was kind of a mess, so I just chopped it off with the head.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  18. swgoats

swgoats New Member

Sounds like his yield was pretty good to me!

19. dragonlair

dragonlair Active Member

After 30+ years of goat raising, I finally tried goat meat last fall when I sent a leftover buckling to camp. It was awesome. Fed me all winter and would have gone thru the spring (he was HUGE!) if my son hadn't stolen the rest of the meat out of my freezer.

This year I raised 2 wethers that will be going to freezer camp next month (at 6 months old) and probably a 3 month old that I just wethered last week. He is a single out of a substantial milker, so he is pretty big.

I have decided to give all the bucklings 1 chance at finding a home. If they don't sell, they get wethered and will go to the freezer. There are so many ways to fix goat that I don't mind eating it often.

20. Laverne

Laverne New Member

I did a sheep hide with the wool on, by myself, the battery acid method. I found it simple and the hide came out buttery soft.