Hypochondriac goat

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Agape Oaks, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

Do any of y'all have any goats who are hypochondriacs? I have a doe who broke her leg at 2 weeks old, on a Fri night of course in Feb....she was my 1st born baby. I took her to the animal emergency clinic, where they told me it was a goat with a broken leg & did I want her put to sleep....of course not- I have credit cards :)! So $900 later she came home with a pretty pink & green splint & spent some time living in my kitchen....of course being my 1st born baby, she's ever so slightly spoiled too:).Same doe got pneumonia twice & frothy bloat once & of course always gets to come in the kitchen when she's sick....none of my other goats ever get as sick & pathetic as she does. This is a doe who when I let everyone out to eat bamboo, she runs to the front door, so I know she wants to be a house goat. Now she's started coughing if anyone is looking at her. I milk right near her pen so I can see & hear her- never coughs unless I'm at her gate....so I find it very suspicious that she never coughs unless I look at her.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH yes have one right now that limps every time I go out sometimes tho it is her front leg. And she hurt the back leg 2 mo ago.

Then I have one that was a house baby and very week from the get go so now of course she thinks she should be in the house and has this mornful I'm sick cry at the gate. But is fine if she is down by the barn. They are smart little cookies

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Kinda off topic but which bone in her leg did she break ? How old was she ?

thanks , Patty

4. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

Mine broke her front leg at 2 weeks of age. Now you can't tell it at all & I'd have to go look at her vet bill to find out. We had to change splints every week since she was growing so fast.....so she's my most expensive goat by far....& one who'll never ever be sold.

5. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

So ALL your goats don't live in the house?...oh my...I need to make some changes :blush

I've been hoodwinked.

6. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I was wondering because we had one break a leg and we splinted it ourselves.

Cannot tell evn now as a 2 year old.

Patty

7. exact sam thing here too. Healed fine.
    Becky

8. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

This was my 1st born baby & I had only had goats a short time. I had no idea what to do, other then find a vet who'd see her.......now I'd probably attempt splinting myself :).