Husband bought me a goat at auction....Help!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by andiplus5, Apr 5, 2008.

1. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Ok, my husband went to the auction with our neighbor tonight and called me to tell me he bought me a goat. He saw what he thought was a milk goat and knew I had wanted the kind with the big ears. (can you tell he's goat stupid????)

Anyway, I went to pick him up because the neighbor also bought goats....ugh....They had no way to get them home, so I went to pick them up. Well, now I have 3 foreign goats taking up my sick stall. I had to find Pita another place to stay while she recoups. What do I do with these guys? My husband definitely got me a Nubian and she's a pretty thing too. Aged her by her teeth and she's a 3 yr. old. Good, shiny coat on her and a little skinny, but not wormy skinny.

Anyway, my question is what do I give these goats before turning them out with my herd. They were at an auction and heaven only knows what they picked up. I know I need to pick up wormer. What else? The feed store is only open til noon so I don't have a whole lot of time to make a list. And now I am sleepy so I will check in the morning and see what y'all have to say!
    Thanks,
    Andi

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Keep them separated from your herd and have them blood tested for CAE and CL. Look them over for abcesses. It would be best to have your vet look them over for any other signs of parasites or illness. If the doe is fresh, check her udder for signs of mastitis. If they get a clean bill of health including negative blood tests, only then turn them out with your herd. If they are sick, have hubby take them back to the auction or put them in the freezer. Kathie

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Anyway, my question is what do I give these goats before turning them out with my herd.

A shot of lead between the eyes? A nice cold place to live in the freezer?

Is your herd worthy of having auction barn goats, carrying god knows what, in with them?

90 days of quaranteen which means no nose to nose contact in pens that can be burned if need be afterward in case they have abscess. Testing, worming 3 times 10 days apart with cydectin. Cocci treating, lice, mites, nosebots, vaccinating. Then you have the udder, which can carry all sorts of horrible mastitis onto your herd...staph aureous, ecoli, pseudonomas....she can be a carrier of toxoplasmosis, chlymydia, acidomyides, Q fever, and the buck will get infected breeding her and all your does afterward that he breeds. Vicki

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Vicki said what I thought she might say.......and that is harsh, but but all practical purposes, she is right.

I guess you/we can hope that she was at an auction because some poor feller just had too many goats, or was just needing some quick money.....this does happen sometimes if they can't find a local buyer, and are getting desperate.

Not to sure where you want to be in goats a year or 2 or 3 from now.....and I'm sure that hubby has every good intention here, but he is really shopping for healthy goats at a bad place. I know that you can buy goats cheap there, but you will most likely be spending those savings in medical/testing/treatment cost......and then may end up with those same goats back at the auction just trying to get rid of them too.
    Keep in mind that it cost just as much to feed a "plug" as it does to feed a national champion......and that is really the big expense in keeping animals, feeding them. ........Add a bunch of meds to that feed cost, and what you are gonna pay for is much more than what you could have went and bought a good quality, clean animal, from a reputable herd.
    Keep in mind too, that there are not enough meds/treatments in the world to clean up what a lot of goats have that come through places like this. Then what do you do with a serious problem after all this.....kill it and eat it.....take it over the hill and put it down,......or take it back to that same auction and just hope that you get your $25 back that you paid for it to start with .

If you guys are just needing goats to clean up under growth, (brush goats) or to just have the things available to eat for yourselves on a regular basis....then keep shopping there. No sense in paying $300 for a nice goat that is just going to clean up a brush pile to start with.......but if you gonna think about having dairy goats, some time down the road, you are getting started out in one of the worst places possible.
    If you build your reputation/herd around goat auction animals, you will have trouble from now on trying to sell them to any serious buyers......(ones that don't mind shelling out 3 to $500 for a good bred, healthy animal).
    BTW......money won't buy your reputation back once it's there. Only time can change this, and sometimes that can take years.
    As they say around here..."""pick yer poison""".

Whim

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep start all over with all vaccinations as if they have never had any /worm /worm/ worm/ cocci/treatments not prevention to start off with. and keep them isolated .

6. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

ok, got a good look in the daylight. Mine looks pretty good. Nice healthy coat, clear eyes, obviously scared after being through the sale. My neighbors on the other hand have crud in their eyes. They're weepy and have eye boogers. What should I tell him to give them for that? Is it just a cold or something worse? I don't want my new goat to get it if it's something worse than a cold. It isn't pink eye, I checked. BTW--these goats were part of a herd dispersal. The farmer selling them had to get rid of most of his goats. (expenses)They were all nubian/boer cross. Pretty goats. They even had their hooves trimmed. One less thing to worry about. LOL
    Andi
    P.S. The sale barn we go to is for ppl who don't want to go to the huge sale barn. (which is only 15 miles away) It's more of a social thing for those ppl who don't have internet (or electricity for that matter) to get together and sell some livestock. We go to that sale because none of the animals we have ever bought had a disease. We are eating the pigs we bought there. The chickens we bought there are laying like crazy. Brett and the other caller won't sell anything they know to be from someone who doesn't take care of their stock. One good thing about knowing everything about everybody around here!! LOL I just wanted to know what shots to give or if they needed something particular after being at the sale before going in with my goats. I am going to worm them and my whole herd starting today because everything is soooooo wet. They haven't been wormed in a couple of months and I am using Ivomectin this time instead of the pellets.

7. Maybe I misread your post but it sounds like all 3 are in the smae stall. If they are your goat will get what the others have.

Even if you know the farm where she came from you should quarantine until you have health tests back at the bare minimum.....who knows what the doe was exposed to at the auction!?! It is not worth the risk to the rest of your herd.
    Becky

8. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

It is the only stall I have open. There is no other place for her and she is not going in with my herd. It looks like they may all have pink eye. I started them all on LA200, cocci treatment, and wormer today. I gave them each a CD/T shot and some nutri-drench. I have worked very hard at taking precautions so nothing will be spread to my herd. I may be new to goats, but I've been in the medical field for years. Health precautions are not a problem. Now...If I have left anything out that I can possibly do, please let me know. Right now I've had a pretty rough day and most of that has nothing to do with the goats! So I'm gonna go shopping at Jeffers online to relax! :biggrin
    Andi

9. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Some ideas-
    Bo-Se to increase their immune system and help any possible deficiency. Copper bolus. Have they got good minerals out? they may really need them if they havent had them before. Probios or kefir every day and for a couple of days after the antibiotic therapy for rumen flora replacement, theyre doubly stressed with feed changes and the move and then the antibiotics. got any flax seed? you can usually buy a pound fairly cheap at the health food store or some larger groceries. Rice bran is great too, add some slowly. It will help their coats and really help them stabilize. I'd top dress with a 1/4 cup or so of one of those for the Omega 3 fatty acids and healthy fats they provide. Got any comfrey growing around you? A good size leaf or two a day will help boost them quite a bit.
    I wouldnt worm just once, but several times, theres a program in 101 IIRC. use flukicide at least once. Any chance theres a pregnant one in the bunch? avoid wormers that might hurt pregnancies if thats possible. Watch the pink eye- I got it myself from goats a few months back! Are you using anything topical for that? I havent tried the puffers from Jeffers or the feedstore yet, but I think most folks use them. Dont forget to reapeat the immunizations when they are due to seal immunity, thats easy to forget (ask me how I know LOL). I'd trim feet if they needed it, but might wait until they settled in a bit and were less stressed unless they had a real problem that needed to be fixed right away. Check skin good for lice or mites and treat that if you find any sign of them. (even if they didnt have any from home, thats a real easy pick up in an auction). Does your new doe look like shes freshened recently? is she in milk? If so, I'd do a CMT to check for mastitis.
    OK, what else am I forgetting, gang? Alfalfa if you have grass hay, to help build them up, start slowly.

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I don't recommend the puffers just use your LA200 in the eye by drops dirrectly. Keep them in the dark if possible as pink eye really hurts when exposed to sun.
    This is what I would do. as far as vaccinations etc.
    would do the lysign , CD/T series, treat them for cocci, and worm with cydectin first and 10 days later with ivormec plus I would give bose shots and copper bolus. I would keep them isolated a minimum of 30 days and 90 is best. I would do blood tests for CAE and CL and sit back and wait.

11. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Thanks,Sondra- Ive always had leftover human eye drops before to useon animals- but I recently ran out. I will have to remember that one! I like that idea much better than the puffers.

12. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

That's what we did. We used the LA200 and dropped it in their eyes. Do we do that everytime they get a shot or everyday?
    Andi

13. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

LA200 does nothing for pinkeye in goats given as shots, use it for drops if you like.

Goat Medicine says aresole sprays and puffers are dangerous for the eye.

I would have this goat on grass hay and no grain and slowly start her on a better feed program. Like 1/4 cup of grain and 1/4 cup of alfalfa pellets or a small handful of alfalfa hay, increasing it every week. She likely has no rumen bacteria to utilize grain or alfalfa. Your goal should be to have a good looking doe who kids for you next spring.......not trying to improve her in a month.

I would take a deep breath (especially on the other thread when you ask about CL, what it is etc...) and don't buy another thing until you have read the forum from cover to cover. Then test the goats you have and make informed decisions on purchases from that point forward.

You have alot of really nice herds around you in Oklahoma to glean really nice clean stock from, and nobody who has clean healthy stock and tests is selling their stock at auctions without getting top dollar...all this is way to much work to sell for cheap. Vicki

14. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Ok, very good advice. :D I have read through the section on goat info on this site. I have read several websites on CL and CAE so I can tell when we go look at goats. But I was asking how (even if they test for it) do you tell whether a doe has it or not. We have already paid for my husband's latest doe. We pick her up on Friday. Do I just start feeling for lumps? What do they feel like? The other goat doesn't have CL (the one mentioned on the other thread). She has an orange size tumor in her body.
    The only pics I've seen of CL are after the hair falls off and after it's gone pussy. Is it just a bump before that?
    And BTW--I don't have room for more goats....Thank God!! :crazy They are enough to drive me crazy....LOL...and I still love them.
    My husband and my neighbor meant well. Especially since that is how everyone around here buys livestock. No one has the money to buy from breeders. And although there are some good ones around us....they are all 100 or more miles. Can't go that far in my vehicle. Most of these ppl can't either. None of us are breeders. We are backyard dairy goat farmers. We sell our extras to our neighbors or BBQ them or the Mexicans buy them and BBQ them.
    I just donated a wether to the Ag dept. at the local high school even though I homeschool. I didn't want him eaten...LOL They need a "practice" goat. They will be learning how to take care of goats, lead them, work them for shows, feed them, etc...... He will have a great home and lots of friends!
    Thanks for all the advice. I have these new goats all doctored up and they are starting to look very, very good. I am going to have them tested asap...calling vet today...But they are up and around now, not lying and moping. Their eyes are clearer. They are not so scared. They are gonna be beautiful goats when we get done with them! LOL

I really, from the bottom of my heart, appreciate the advice and the help. Y'all are great and I don't know what I would have done without you.
    Andi