Hunching Goat....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by togg75, Jan 4, 2009.

1. togg75

togg75 Guest

This morning I noticed that my trouble child (aborted twice this year) is hunching and looking back over her left shoulder. I took her temp and it's normal 101.5.

She is eating fine. Defication is normal. The only thing is after she aborted (maybe) this last time she was having some trouble peeing it seemed. She would squat and only a dribble would come out. This went on for a couple of days. Now the urineation is normal, but she is hunching......any ideas?

She was 2 1/2 Mo. preggo the first abort. she was rebred about 2 wks later and two days after she got home she had some nasty discharges, so I'm thinking she aborted again.....

Help. :help

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

It could also be a urinary tract infection. Usually when does abort...they don't have the signs you're talking about. They just abort and go on.

It's typical to have a discharge after breeding. There's all types of mucous left in the vaginal tract after a breeding.

If she's still having problems with urination...she needs to be started on Oxytet. Bio-Mycin preferably, or LA 200 if that's all you have. Naxcel would be the best, but lots of people don't have it. It needs to be given at 3cc/100# for no less than 4 days. Once a day. Also Banamine to relieve the spasms in the bladder. 1cc/100#'s once a day for 4 days.

I know she's bred...and anything given in the 1st 30 days *could* interefere with implantation...but if she keeps this urinary tract infection then fertility is in jeopardy. The drugs listed above have proven here to be safe during the pregancy.
    Kaye

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

After she aborted, are you sure she cleaned out? I had a doe kid with twins, wasn't checked properly (sad to say) and had another fetus stuck in the cervix. She was hunched quite a bit like she was trying to either pee or poop.
    It just sounded familiar.

4. togg75

togg75 Guest

If she had an additional fetus stuck wouldn't she run a fever?

Thanks for the info. How should I check her properly.

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Mine never did.. and we didn't check her just once. It was a week later before we took her in and my vet said "I bet she has a retained kid" we did X-Rays to confirm. He said that the hormonal change during birthing drops and can mask a fever.
    Vicki has a wonderful article on re-arranging kids in Goatkeeping 101. I suggest everyone read it prior to kidding season! Anyway, to check properly, her cervix would need to be open, you lube up your arm and gently "go in" and check. and yes, you will need to go in as far as you can go, sometimes past your elbow and not just to your wrist. :/

If it's been a while, then you may need an X-Ray. And then try and figure why she won't hold on to her pregnancies.

6. togg75

togg75 Guest

If this goat has been rebred and settled with a retaind kid I could have major problems in front of me.

I hope that nothing is wrong, but I will continue to watch her for a couple of days......if the hunching continure or a fever spikes then I will carry her to the vet......he has no ultrasound equipment, x-ray equipment, knows very little about goats.

Are you suggesting that I go into this doe?

What is the article titled?

7. togg75

togg75 Guest

She is not hunching anymore....hmmmm. maybe it was just a one time thing....

She is kind of spastic with her body language, my herd queen, and one mean headbutter.

8. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

And discharge does not always equate to abortion. We had one who I swore aborted...moved here a month after being with the buck, lots of fighting for position, blood tinged discharge. I concluded that she had aborted or hadnt been successfully bred. She went on to have a 4lb buckling and less than a week before she kidded even our well experienced goat mentor looked and said "yeah, I agree, not bred".

9. togg75

togg75 Guest

Took her to the vet today. He said nothing wrong with her. I gave her a Bo/Se shot and will keep feeding, watering, petting her.

10. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

The topic is called Re-Arranging Kids by Vicki McGaugh in Goatkeeping 101. I doubt that a doe would settle with a retained kid. Hopefully she was just cold and all's well.!