How young can you **use** a buckling??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, May 18, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

tweaking on my breeding plans... and over the top excited over a new buckling I am getting...

I will not have him by the first breeding time (of 4), but will have him I think by the 2nd round... he'd be 4months?

Should I just plan to hold him until the 3rd session when he will be 7months old?

I am getting so excited... and LOL I had all 4 breeding sessions already planned... and now I get to revamp.... and I am very very excited...

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well my thoughts on this are that yes at 4 mo he probaby could breed but exspecting him to do the job well and with a number of does I wouldn't count on it so personally I would wait and hope he has all his ducks in a row for the later breedings.

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

alrighty... it is round 4 & 5 that *excite* me the most... though there are a couple in round #1 & 2...

Planning is so fun....

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Congrats on that new buckling!!

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Congratulations on your new buckling. Breeding plans are so fun. Cambrell's buckling that was born Feb 23, 2008 is 55 pounds and is unsheathing and he mounted his Mama today. She is an Alpine and is not in season. He is just trying out his new toy and seeing just how much Mama will put up with. Time to separate that young man. Anybody need a really nice buckling?

6. we've used bucks at 4 months several times with success.
    Becky

7. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Someone over in Idaho told me that back in 1992 they put a six week old up on a hay bale to service a doe and she kidded successfully with his kids..... So, I guess I included that brief experience to say that you can "use" him pretty young. The question is, should you. :)

8. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

If he can get to it.. he can do it. If he wants to.

I've had one breed at 4 months.. and then again.. I've had them at almost 6 months and get to it.. do it.. but not settle. Eventually he did.

Your best bet would be to have a back up buck. IMHO

9. eliya

eliya New Member

In my experience, it totally depends on the buck. Some are rarin' to go at 3 months while others aren't ready until they are almost a year. You could put him with your doe (just make sure she doesn't beat up on him) and see what he does. If she is in heat and he doesn't show any interest, I wouldn't trust him to get the job done.

10. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Good suggestion. (I'm learning here too.)

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Mine too Eliya and also expecting him to serve muliple does would be a bit much at 4 mo old I think

12. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Well I have 4 bucks (2 LM & 2MM) currently... selling 1LM and buying 1LM.... so I have back up... so I need to decide if there is anyone I plan to breed in June that I'd be *ok* if I had to try again in Oct....

hmmmm...

not really... *maybe* Vicki... I really need these girls to kid on time though... so hmph....

OK tamping down my impatience.... :lol

Sept/Oct though ((rubs hands together gleefully))

13. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Oh and I was thinking only 1-2 does the first round...

OHHHHHHHH I can use him on Sweetheart this yr!!!!

Now do I breed Babee to him or Anson... I know she & Anson throw GORGEOUS kids.... hmmm

Hmmm and Thyme... and MAYBE I'll save Nutmeg for round 3/4 and breed her to him....

picturing me bouncing around the room considering all my options.....

14. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Shoot you could give him a try, just don't count on it, and use an older buck for your back up. Try the next doe when she is in, and then use your older buck for the backup.

It's the luck of the draw really, some bucks are simply more mature faster, and some does are easier to talk into letting young bucks service them. But a big older doe who isn't interested in a young buck and a young buck who doesn't know what he is doing is a diasaster :) Vicki

15. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

thanks Vickie .....

we'll see hmmm trying him with Vickie then is a BAD idea... she was the only one to refuse the young buck in 2005 and stayed open... finally bred her in 06 to the only mature buck on the farm... a ND.

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep I had that experience when I first got the Nubians from Vicki 2 of them would accept that new young buck but Divinity no way so finally ended up useing my old Mini LaMancha buck on her and had July babies