how/where to send in liver for biopsy?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by birdiegirl, Aug 14, 2008.

1. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

I took a piece of my (dead) doe's liver, I have it in a ziplock bag in the fridge.

I was thinking it was a good opportunity to check copper levels in my herd. She was a 1 year old, FF. I have had her here since she was 3 weeks old. She was given a copper bolus back in April- I suspected copper deficiency here, my goats had fishtails, ghost rings around their eyes, chocolate hair turning red, etc.....

Where do I send the tissue, and how?

I thought I read where Vicki keeps her samples in the freezer, but I thought freezing destroys the tissues..........

2. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

I don't know about in NE TX, but in TN there is a state vet who will do these exams on farm animals for free. Freezing destroys some bacteria, making it impossible to determine whether or not the cause of death was bacterial. Yet, they will thaw a frozen animal in a water bath before performing a necropsy, and just make note on the report of the frozen state. Here, the state animal disease lab doesn't run copper amounts as a routine part of the necropsy, but I'm sure you could ask.

3. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

Take two pieces of liver put one in the fridge and the other in the freezer until you know for sure. that way you have it covered.
    Clay

4. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

Brilliant answer......... Why didn't I think of that? Thanks.....

(still not sure who to send it to.......)

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Freezing has never effected my samples, and I always have froze them, as does my vet. Of course this isn't about disease in this case where a fresh necropsy is always best.

I have one from Langston Univeristy...and I am about 99% most are from A&M. I don't send them in myself I take them to my vet who takes them or sends them to the lab and I have always assumed she took them to A&M. I don't pay for shipping then. Vicki