How to put down a goat? and other unplesantries

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stacy adams, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

We have had to burn a body also up here in the Frozen North. We had one die of unknown causes overnight so I didn't feel it would be safe to eat him not knowing exactly why he died or how long he'd been there. Ground was frozen solid and we don't have any equiqment big enough to dig the hole so we made a big, hot fire and creamated him. I also made sure the bones were gone since I didn't want to see our dogs gnawing on him. He was a pet...

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Actually I feed any animal that isn't full of drugs to my LGDs. Surprised?? I researched it very carefully before deciding to do so. Its part of the LGD's job to eat anything that might attract predators to the herd. This includes stillborn kids, ones that die, etc.
    I've fed my dead animals to my LGD's for years......no problems. They get everything I don't use when I butcher the butcher goats. This includes hide and head.
    They are very smart dogs, they know the difference.
    I just lay the body out far enough that it won't bother me, but the LGD's can still eat off it. This goes for bovines or goats.

3. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

I know that a lot of people do the BARF diet - so I guess I'm less worried about her eating it than I am worried about her dragging it back home. Our dog is a collector. She keeps a pile of stuff in the barnyard. Giant sticks she finds in the fields, anything we've accidentally left outside (like feed scoops), poultry feeders...anything she can carry goes to her little collection yard. This includes dead frogs, pieces of mice...I am worried to add goat carcass to that list.

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Oooooohhhhh......I thought you were worried about them turning to eating their charges while they were alive. ;)
    If they drag pieces back to the yard, I let them chew till all meat is off the bone then I burn the bones in my burn barrel for trash. I don't let them keep resurrecting the bones. That includes the horse that they drug over from the neighbors....piece by piece I saw them drag every part of that horse over to my yard. I just kept burning..... :lol

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I dont' want my dogs fighting so I wouldn't just put a dead body out in my woods without liming and burying it or burning it. If it was fit for the dogs to eat, than I would butcher it.

Now hogs, tell you Lisa if I had a dairy like you are doing, I would have hogs, they are the true end of the food chain for your farm...placenta's, dead kids, dump milk, spent hay, spoiled feed, there are regs on how far away the hogs have to be of course. Vicki

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

My dogs don't fight over it......there is a chain of command and it IS followed even to who gets to eat what. :lol Troy sets down the rules. He is even alpha over my intact male.

7. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Vickie you just gave me a horrible memory, we had an old doe strangle herself on a collar, and it was in deep freeze time, we had Two large hogs in the shed so we just put her in there and after we butchered those hogs and were cleaning out that shed we did find a long femur of goat. easy way to loose a body.

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Emily I didn't mean my dogs fighting with each other, but with coyotes or dogs from the area the carcass brings in...and buzzards you should see Texas bussards! Vicki

9. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Ah, I see. :D I seem to be doing a lot of mis-reading and using the wrong words lately......like yesterday. I posted on a forum about the difference in vacuum when milking goats vs cows by machine......only I used the word pressure rather than vacuum.......can you tell I was thinking of canning yesterday?? :lol

10. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

We have two of em...whey disposal units, I call them. Never thought about feeding them culls. Duh. These two are almost ready for butchering - we need to get a new pair of weaners to replace them first, though.

11. Katarina

Katarina New Member

Oh yeah, our hog loves placentas...she no longer thinks that she has to kill each one, tho :lol

12. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

We shoot what needs shooting. If it needs disposing of, it is buried. We live in the sand so it is easy to dig. I dug a grave for a pony once, it took me 3 days....by myself in August. She was too close to the house to leave for the coyotes and buzzards. Need I say more. Chickens get thier necks wrung til they come off in my hand. Goats get grain in a pan and their tails wag as they are shot. If a large animal is dead away from the house, we leave it. Yes, the Pyrenees collect bones and rocks and things but they don't turn on their living animal friends just because they ate dead ones. They have seen me butcher goats and chickens and then consume the guts later. They do indeed know the difference.

13. Hannah Funderburke

Hannah Funderburke New Member

We have a pair of Nigerian Dwarfs (A billy and a pregnant doe). We were told they were "bonded" an thus sold together. The billy had a fatal run in with a coyote or something, and we had to put it down. My question is this: Is there anything to be done with the cadaver before we dispose of it? I understand the doe will likely decline and possibly reject her pregnancy. Should I leave him near her pen so she can see that he is dead? Or is that just absurd?

14. sevenpineshomestead

sevenpineshomestead New Member

I have never been able to put down ANY animal via any other method besides the vet. We live in a country type town, and I’ve been lucky enough to have a couple of vets near who are kind enough and open-minded enough to come out to my truck (or used to be my Yukon) and euthanize an animal for me; a 10 year old goat in decline and just not able to live without intervention (sq fluids, supplemental vitamins, feed, probios) and after saving her from old age probably 6 times in a year, I had to let her go. I also had a very old Pyrenees (our first) who had served us loyally for all those years.... and God, that was hard too. There have been all of my aged cats (we always have 5 or 6 inside, and 5 or 6 outside) and it seems they all got OLD and ill at around the same time. So So hard to lose animals you love. and BABY goats? I’ve always still been treating them ...working for a miracle when they pass naturally, but I’d be very hard pressed to put them down on my own here. I am working on my self-reliance and am glad to have read this entire post through and through. We have guns. I’m not afraid of them, and know how to operate them. I just never considered I might be able to relieve one of my animal’s pain and suffering with this method. Now, I do think I could do it. It is most definitely a possibility in my mind now. Cheaper, easier, and probably less traumatic on the animal to just be eating their grain and then just fall down and go to sleep ....forever...... Thanks for expanding my mind this morning folks. This forum can always ALWAYS teach you a new thing or TEN!

15. Ann22222

Ann22222 New Member

Please don't drown, that is very cruel.