How to put down a goat? and other unplesantries

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stacy adams, Mar 2, 2008.

1. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Ok, for those of you that have had to do this unpleasant chore (this is hard to type..)
    We don't own a gun, and I don't honestly know if I could do that.
    And then what do you do with the body??

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I use a 38 to the back of the head. It is instant death. They drop to the ground and it is over. If you don't have a gun, I guess you would have to cut one's throat. To me the gun is more humane. Another option would be taking it to the vet and having it euthanized. As far as getting rid of the body, I've used a front end loader to dig a hole and bury one, taken them to the back 40 and left them. I had one die and it got dark on me and I couldn't get a hole dug so I left her back by the fence and was going to go down in the morning to dig a hole. When I got down there she was gone. 5' non climbing horse wire fences. The only way out would have been up and over the fence. Had to be a strong animal to do that as this 10 month old doe was quite large. We figured it was a cougar that roams these parts.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Stacy find a butcher in your area. There is one here in Azle and one in Weatherford I take mine to Weatherford and they will cut and wrap or grind for hamburger and sausage and chg $25 If you want to meet me somewhere I will take her for you.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

After this as a discussion on Nubian Talk last week :) The only acceptable way to put down any animal is via a vet. And the only way to put down a newborn is with the help of UC Davis's site on this subject.

How I do it.

A sick older animal who I am not going to use the meat for any reason is shot in the head, taken out to the woods and buried, limed, covered. I would not have livestock without a gun, I prefer a 22 rifle. For myself having a rifle is like having a good pitchfork or shovel. Just yesterday I killed a stray who left on his own would have gotten into a dog fight with one of my dogs or perhaps killed chickens or harmed a young doe. Younger animals you can dispatch their head off with a machete, this takes a good deal of force. Mens work here. At any time a downer animal can have it's jugular slit with a disposable scalpel or very sharp knife and be dead in a few minutes. If I am going to kill a doe in the common barn, this is how I do it, so she is dead without me firing a shot which scares everyone in my barn. It's a much more personal way to kill an animal you love, than shooting it, and bothers me a great deal more....as it should be. The idea I am going to take a sick animal for a walk in the woods, or drag her, or put her in a wheelbarrow and shoot her in the woods ain't happening.

The rest are butchered. Vicki

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I really like that way of doing things Vicki. We have shot a sick animal and buried also here. and also slit throats to butcher here

6. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Its a hard job and sometimes it has to be done but my DH cant do it so its left up to me to do and it still bothers me when I have to do it as I tend and care all of my goats and he just pets and loves on them...but when it gets down to it I am the 1 that has to do it and I use either the 38 or 22 pistol. Its over fairly quickley. He does the burying or taking to the back.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Sorry I wasn't even thinking Stacy abt not using her for meat because of the drugs. Do you have a friend or a neighbor that has a gun?? I know when it comes time to put down our old dog I have already talked to my neighbors abt it as DH won't be able to. Well neither will I.

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

We have two guns here, but my DH won't let me use them on a goat because they are too big a caliber and he's afraid of ricochet. When we have had to have a goat put down, my friend's son did it with a 22. One went in her dumpster, the rest to the butcher. When a bigger goat dies here, we take it out into the National Forest for the wildlife to eat. When baby goats die, I put them in a trash bag and take them to the dump. They accept small animals there. Kathie.

9. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Exactly how I feel about my .22 rifle and .22 pistol. They are tools that I *must* have to use when needed. And they have been needed many times. As much as I don't want to use them, they are a comfort to have to fall back on.
    I put goats down with a shot to the back of the head. Its the same angle as in my butchering picture.

10. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I have DH shoot the goats only because I'm afraid I'll miss and shoot myself in the foot. lol. I use the 22 rifle to dispose of the vermin and make dogs feel unwelcome. I was reading in on that discution on Nubian Talk. some people are so full of themselves and crap!! others are just plain clueless. I'm thinking with newborns', a razer blade to the throat would make it quick work. all big livestock not butchered for meat or the skins/guts is sent to the back of the farm for the coyotes and buzzereds to clean up. and no, I don't worry about them getting a taste for the meat and come up to hunt down the live critters.

-Melissa

11. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I shoot even the newborns. A bullet is cheap and I can do that easier than slit their throat.....of course there have been a couple times I was no where near a gun and just crushed them quickly with a huge rock. :? In Missouri you are *never* far from large rocks. ;)

12. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Yep a gun works the best. I have also had to resort to the breaking of necks, not a pleasant job but at that moment something had to be done, argh people kill me!! Ok rant over. I have had to explain time and time again that raising livestock isn't all joyous there are unpleasantries that *MUST* be done, we are farmers first and foremost. I have also heard that a large syringe of air in the jugular or under the base of the skull works, don't know never tried it.

Autumn

13. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Don't even go there...unless you have a desire for the macabre. That only works in the movies. IF you happen to get the right amount of air....it is not a humane death.

Without euthansia solution...which you CAN NOT get without a DEA #, the other is a shot to the head. Quick and final.
    Kaye

14. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

When we butcher the small livestock Hubby slits there throats. If the blade is sharp enough there really isnt pain involved and then they fade away. Think like a paper cut ..you dont feel it til afterwards.

Patty

15. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Oy. We still have not had to do this, but I know it's just a matter of time. We've only had goats a year and a half -- so we just haven't been there yet.
    We have already decided we will shoot them. Thank you to everyone who shared, though. It is helpful to read about ways people do this.

16. Katarina

Katarina New Member

For us we believe that a bullet is the best way to go but we dont often carry a gun with us to a kidding so when faced with a kid that needs to be put out of it's misery quickly, there is always a bucket and water at hand and that is what we have used and will likely to continue to use.

As we discovered for the first time this past week. :(

17. Jennie

Jennie Guest

We have used a 22 to put a doe down. We fed her grain on the ground and dh went up from behind. It was quick. As far as what to do with the body we usually bury them as most of ours are as much pets as anything else. Since this is winter though and the ground is frozen we got a tip from a friend and we had a bon fire and cremated her. I was not going to put her in the dump. The babies that have died at birth we do put in a grain sack and they do go to the dump. I hope your girl pulls through for you.

18. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

If you have land put her out back . She will not go to waste as she will be feeding other animals. We have never had a problem of more animals coming because of either. It is amazing on how fast they will be gone.

Patty

19. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Do those of you who have LGDs worry about putting the body out on your property? We want to feed the ecosystem-- but we don't want Trudy to get into anything.

20. UnRuli Acres

UnRuli Acres New Member

We don't have a gun so in disposing of an animal I did have to cut a throat. I did have Jaguar euthanized (the vet was there anyway, and she was suffering) but any others had their throat cut. It wasn't fun and I hated doing it, but it is what had to be done.