How to prevent knots from shots

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Patty13637, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Seems this year I am leaving knots on everyone. I have no clue what I am doing different . So for those of you that get no knots tell me how. Could it be I have been giving them over the rib cage?

Patty

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

making sure you get the needle thru all layers of skin making sure your not carrying dirt in with the needle. so many get the stuff in between the skin layers

3. janettemoore

janettemoore New Member

My very first cd/t shot this year left a "place" on the shoulder...it may go away. But I decided I was too much in a hurry (I always want to get these things over with). So I am slowing down, trying to be more gentle, talking to my goat, and easing the injection in. I rub it gently when I'm through, and things seem to be better so far. I remember there are some meds you don't massage, but can't remember which....Hope it isn't CD/T.

Janette

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I don't massage any but sometimes just put a little pressure on it

5. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Read were Vicki is giving cdt im. Works for me.

Patty

6. cloverhillgoats

cloverhillgoats New Member

I read somewhere that if you draw a cc. of penn-G up into the syringe with the CD/T you get no lumps. I haven't tried it, yet. Do you think it would counter/inter-act with it?

Rachel
    Cover Hill Goats

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

THAT is not a good idea. You really don't want to mix meds. of any kind. I also heard or read or something that putting a little B Complex with something that it would decrease the sting of the shot....but, I don't and WON'T.

My luck, if I mixed meds. I get a big ole' lovely sterile abcesss...so it's not done here.
    Kaye

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

and why would you want to give an antibiotic to a healthy goat is beyond me.

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Granulomas form from does with healthy immune systems as they send antibodies to fight the antibiotic you gave. Now if it abcesses than you did bring in dirt etc... Clean the site, give the subq shot under the skin not in it. Also make sure you push the plunger and then pull out the needle, not dragging the needle through the layers of skin while you are pushing.

But I do most vaccines IM because of this lump formation. Vicki

10. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I am not geting abcesses from dirt I spray the area first , just these hard yucky knots. I never use to get them...maybe my herd is just healthier now. One can hope.

Patty