How to help my buck

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Beverrlly, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

A doe that I thought was bred came back into heat this month so I put her with my buck for a second try but Cowboy just couldn't seem to get the job done. He mounted her and "did the deed" once that I saw and she arched her back but he mounted her several times and couldn't seem to extend. He also kept falling off her. He was definately interestd and followed her around but he just didn't have his usal gusto. Because he's so short I couldn't really see his penis when it was out to see if it looked normal and I have no idea how to look at it unless it's extended.

Here's the details the best I know: All of my goats are NDs. Cowboy is 8 monthes old and has definately bred at least one of my does. I also have the suspicion that he got frostbite on his scrotum but I'm not sure how that happened. I'm worried that the frostbite could have affected him more than I can see. All I can see is a smallish grey spot that is scabbed over on the very tip of the scrotum.

So I guess my question is this---how can I check him out more thoroughly and should I be concerned that he only bred my doe the one time or is this fairly normal. I know with the confirmed breeding he mounted her as many times as she would let him! Also, any suggestions on what to do about the frostbite and how to prevent it? The barn is as warm as I can make it without major heating renovations. It is draft free and has lots of bedding and he has a friend he snuggles with when it's very cold. I really didn't think he would be frostbite in the barn so now I'm at a loss of what to do. Is he done breeding??

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I didn't know this until last year, but bucks up north get these crusty nasty areas on the bottom of their scotum and it is normal. Here they may have a balding area, but crusty and you would think maybe you had staph or something. So his testicles are normal.

When using a new buck, or a young buck, I always watch the breeding then with a gloved hand swoop my finger in the vagina and then ball up my hand to protect the sperm I gather, and take it inside to my microscope. I look for swimmers, I don't expect them to be robust being in oxygen and all, but do expect to find some and heads connected to tails. This reassures me my young guy is not shooting blanks, or my new guy has some sperm. I have always done this, keeps me from guessing which I am not good at, nor do I have patience :)

I have the two most opposite bucklings this year...out of my breeding is Big Bird and from Sara Nick, they nearly look identical with Nick just being slightly smaller, and Nic is one month younger. But Big Bird would breed a doe, and breed her again, breed that does sister, her aunt and anything else he could in 5 minutes. Nick...well he is shy, he won't mount a doe if he sees me watching because I had the audacity of coming up to him while he was trying to breed one of my older does and I grabbed his penis to get it towards her vagina and not her hip....he put his penis away, walked away and wouldn't even look back. He was mortified I had done that to him! He settled his 5 girls in the quiet of the night barn, and I only had the intercom and semen in the vagina afterward as proof. He would not breed anyone or even keep paying attention to them if I went out and tried to watch. Lets just hope this is because he is young :) LOL!!

So my advice is to just let him grow up some, keep his feet trimmed, keep him wormed, make sure his diet is adequate, make sure he has lots of hay to eat to keep warm, and lots of energy and calories to grow and perform during the winter. Vicki

3. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Whew---I feel so much better! I felt horrible that the little guy had frostbite on such a personal area!!

4. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

We have had the same experience as V--we have had one buck that would NEVER do anything except in private at night. Whatever, just get'er done!