How to heat treat colostrum?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by 2Sticks, Jan 3, 2008.

1. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

For future reference I would appreciate a detailed discription on how to heat treat colostrum correctly. For example, temp it needs to be, the best way to do itand anything else I'll need to know.

Thank you so much, I intend to copy these answers and put them in my goat care binder so I have it to refer to.

Tamera

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

http://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php?topic=243.0

and there are quite a few ways to do it
    dble boiler
    or heat to correct temp and put in a thermos you know holds the temp for an hr.

If you get it too hot you will have ruined it and will be pudding.

3. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Thank you Sondra, I'll check this link out.

Tamera

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Think you sent her the wrong link :) Vicki

5. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Looking forward to getting the right one. :? Tamera

6. old dominion

old dominion New Member

This is what I use. Remember 135 degrees for 1 hour. What you see is a cut and paste blurb because I give it out several times a year

I heat treat with a slightly different method. I use a product called a kitchen kettle ($22.95) from Wal-Mart and an asparagus pot. I use the asparagus pot because I had it in my kitchen when I purchased the kitchen kettle and it fit with about 3/4 inch of water around the pot.

Two things you must do prior to pasteurization is make sure your thermometer is accurate and know how to set your KK since the lowest marked setting is 200 degrees. You make sure your thermometer is correct by placing it in a glass full of ice water. Lots of ice in this glass. It should read 33 degrees. If it doesn't your thermometer is off. As for the KK the appropriate place for me is around the second line of the W in Warm. You are going to have to play with it some and let it sit at the temperature you think is correct. Once both of these things are taken care of you are ready to pasteurize. The KK comes with a basket for your pot to sit in and you use your pot like a double boiler.

I have fallen asleep and everything was still fine in the morning (Well over an hour of hold time). Holding steady at 140. I know 135 is the correct temp but I do not have any gelling at 140.

My asparagus pot will hold a gallon of liquid so I pasteurize milk on a small scale in it.

One last thing, keep a top on your asparagus pot to maintain a constant temperature.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Nope that is the right link just scroll down.

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

OK, that one wasn't my fault somene PM'ed me and said it wasn't on that thread :)

I just use the double boiler method...a pot of water, with a pot of colostrum in the pot of water...it can not touch the sides or bottom...if you don't have a real double boiler, than just put something in the bottom of the water pot for the colostrum pot to set on. I use the nesting kettles (stock pots) from Wallmart, they rest inside each other and only touch at the side handles.

I start heating the colostrum and when with two candy thermometers (elcheapo's from wallmart that I tape together) read 140 I set my timer for 1 hour, I take the colostrum pot off the heat, set it on a towel and turn down my water pot on the stove, on the lowest setting my stove will keep this pot correct, you will have to play with yours....when the colostrum gets to 136, I put it back in the hot water, and watch it until it gets close to 140, if it goes to 140 I repeat step one, take it out, and turn down my water. After doing it about 100 times you will get the hang of it :) The biggy no matter which way you choose is to double check your temps, it must be between 135 and 140 for 1 hour.

I use two thermometers taped together so I know if they are not reading the same something is wrong.

All this with negative colostrum :) It really is lunacy! Vicki

9. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Great, I'll look for the pans at walmart and get 2 new candy thermometers. Trying to prepare in advance. I'm going to need to know all these things.

Tamera

10. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

To check the accuracy of your thermometer put it in a pan of water and bring it to a FULL boil. You thermometer should read 212 degrees F/100 degree C. :biggrin