Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been some discussion of this elsewhere on the forum, and I keep hearing people talking about being "too old" to do something or other. Also I've had people ask me if I was going to retire. :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Yeah - people like me work until we drop dead. :) No retirement for me.

But it got me thinking how people think about this. My neighbor keeps telling me she is too old to go outside, or to sew. She's 70. My MIL was *born* too old. She's been saying she's "too old" to do anything, for the past 60 years. She just turned 93.

Now, I can see it in a way. I've got a friend who just had to have surgery, her husband had surgery too, and she is not strong enough to handle the goats. He can't do it now either. She's selling her goats and that makes sense to me. But my neighbor, giving up sewing because she's about to turn 70? That makes no sense, to me... I guess it does to her though.

What about you? What makes sense to you? Are you going to stop doing certain things when you reach some magical age? Is 65 too old to climb over fences? What about 55 - is that too old? My great aunt climbed up on the roof to fix the shingles, and she was 93. Was that too old? I still hear people tell that story, all aghast because she was "too old". But why? She fixed the leak. What do *you* think?

·
Registered
760 Posts
I think you are only as old as you want to feel. Then again health reasons may argue with that. I am 58 and newly into goats and loving it. Yes, sometimes it is hard work. Keeps you on your toes. Having had two grandmothers who "made do" with what was on hand it does inspire one to get things done. They fixed things the best was they could. Both made quilts and did sewing well up into age. Since when did retirement become a thing of life? Staying active keeps one mobile and "young"! ;)

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I will do stuff until I physically fail when I try. And I'll probably take a few more stabs at it after that.

Sadly, in our society at this time, people are in poor health. A lot of "I'm to old to" is really "I'm to sick/prematurely worn down to". Been there done that. I have spent too much of my life feeling like I was 90 (I'm 27). A few years ago, my cousin and I (he's about 10 months younger than me) realized we now make sounds when we get up or sit down. That's sad. I've also noticed how people my age have quite a few wrinkles. Wrinkles!

I've noticed when people quit moving, they go downhill, the older they are the faster they do it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Ashley, you right about the poor health and how you feel. Most people eat a lot of processed foods which I am trying to avoid. In days before supermarkets, people ate from gardens and farms. Being wore out can do it too especially if not in good health. There are some days I absolutely just overdo it and can't move for a couple of days. I don't have a lot of wrinkles, but then I don't go out and tan or smoke. [have fair skin anyways] I have the occasional glass of wine. Could be just good genes. Who knows. And you are right about some older people when they quit moving, do downhill fast. And then they have to feel needed or wanted to keep going too.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Ashley I am right there with you. I know that if I quit what I am doing my Advanced arthritis will take over. I complain to Lindsey that I'm an "ole gal" but that's usually a jest. 43-I am a youngen compared to many. My Dad also suffers from advanced arthritis but he will not quit either. He messed up his neck and his wrist in an accident before Mom passed and he never quit working. It is just something we have to do.

Also I think it is personal preference...I do not like to sit still...I get depressed when I do so I am always doing something.
Tam

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I plan to drop in the harness. Watching people do the slow degeneration thing, I don't think it's for me. I can pray to go that way I guess. I do know people that have been old and tired their whole lives. I'm tired, oh so tired, but my self perception is that I'm still very young. I'm dancing in a ballet recital Friday with my kids. My folks act flabbergasted by it. Why not? I take weekly lessons. Why not dance in the recital?

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Age is a state of mind. I'm going to be 50 this weekend. 50! How did THAT happen? But I don't FEEL 50. Sure, my boobs are a little saggy, my hair's a bit grey, the cheeks on my face have headed south so that I always look like I'm frowning, but overall, I certainly don't look THAT old or FEEL that old. But my body works (most of the time) and I don't have any wrinkles. I'd rather be 50 than 20 again!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, Cindy - I'd rather be 50 than 20 too! That is SO true! I don't mind if people THINK I'm younger, but I am SO over being young! I like being here at this point in life.

Also true that if you stop moving, you pretty much just stop... "use it or lose it" applies here I think. And yes, your health has a big impact like my friend who's had surgery.

I agree that it's a state of mind. It just amazes me how many people groan and complain about how "old" they are, and when I ask their age - they are younger than I am. And at the same time they are moaning and groaning about being old they tell me it's fine for me, because I am so "young". :rolleyes: No, I'm not young, just crazy! :D

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm curious why? I liked the feeling invincible of 20 LOL...
Well I don't know about you, perhaps you are a genius! :) But when I was 20 I was a total moron. I knew nothing, but sure thought I did... and I did everything wrong and was not willing to listen to others. Now that I'm my age, I've learned how much I don't know, and I've learned to listen to others. It's a much better stage of life IMO.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I'm only 34, but I wouldn't go back to 20 either. I lacked problem solving skills in my 20s that made life way harder than it should have been. I don't exactly feel invincible now, but I do feel better equipped to handle what comes.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
How old is too old for what? :biggrin I am definitely too old for miniskirts!
I do loving being the age I am though. Mentally, emotionally creatively, I am getting better all the time. :D Physically, not so much. But I also know if I stop keeping goats, gardening, etc. I would get stove up and be unable to do anything. Sitting around watching TV all the time is not an option. I love being outdoors and working with animals and see no reason to stop just because I hit a certain age.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Our custodian in our office is 85 and does a fabulous job. Plus she bakes us cakes every week and her carrot cake is the BEST EVER. I don't care if she cleans anything as long as she brings cake but I digress. She is active and creaks along on some days due to arthritis but has never missed a day all year for illness. She has her little garden at home and stays active.
I am a youngster at 20 years younger than she is but she is my role model. Just keep on being active and eating right except for the carrot cake and all is good.

I used to sew a lot but I pretty much quit simply because I tired of it and found other things I would rather do. I love to knit but rarely find the time. The goats keep me pretty busy. And active. I was up until 2:30 last night attending to a FF kidding. Got baby fed and tucked into the laundry room and went to bed and got up at 5 to start all over again and then go to work. I am retiring the end of June froom my fulltime day job but will work 2 days a week next year doing the same job on a smaller basis. Can't quit and sit.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I'm going to have my small farm until I drop dead of old age. It may be smaller than it is now, and have fewer dogs than the 10 I have now, but I will still have goats, dogs and horses. I still do what I did when I was younger, dress how I want (or not dress. I don't wear much in the summer at home) and don't care what others think of my fashion sense.

My mother just turned 80. She still works at the same job she has held since 1966. She volunteers at NEADS (service dogs training center) in the puppy room twice a week and has a gorgeous garden in her yard, mows and shovels, walks her dog daily and takes care of my dad.

As Tom Pettey said- "I don't know, but I've been told, you never slow down, you never grow old"

·
Registered
760 Posts
I certainly don't want to be 20 again! Only if I knew then what I know now! I am content at my stage in life. On some days I feel like I can't move but get up and at it anyways. Having critters does that for you! Just something about being out there in the barn and around the animals is so peaceful and calming. My dad is 80 and still works at a job 3 days a week. My mom on the other hand is not able to do what she once did due to health. I remember when I was younger not understanding why my parents didn't just get out there and keep doing things the way they used to until I have hit those ages. We get tired easier and it takes longer to get some things done but they get done. We take a lot more breaks too.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Obviously it is individual but I am here to tell you that MY old age is not a state of mind and is totally determined by physical capability.
I am an 18 hour a day full speed ahead kinda gal since way back and I just simply can no longer keep up the pace.
I don't choose this- I don't want this but my body is demanding that I change activity level to respect the effects of wear and tear.
This doesn't mean I sit around all the time but it does mean I ask for help now with lifting jobs and I don't push mow for several hours and endure the knee pain etc...You have to 'age gracefully' and that means adapt to your body as it becomes less capable and believe me no matter how much to try to work against that it does become less capable. I would love to have my accumulated lifespan of experience and learning in my 27 year old body but it ain't happenin so I have to make sure that I don't do more damage than I can repair each day (overnight) and so that means reduced expectations of myself which is the very hardest part of aging. Admitting you must refrain from kicking butt in the old (young) way and do it more carefully and deliberately with better results takes a lot of getting tough. Attitude is lots of it but the truth of your physical condition is much of it as well.
For me I would still be dashing around vaulting fences instead of opening gates if I could but...I have accepted that I must...for later...behave now :)
Lee

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Maybe in some ways it is nice to have been born wimpy. I've been so physically inept since childhood that I only seem to be able to improve. I'm not going to think about sliding the other way yet. I survived my little ballet recital. 34 and danced in my first ballet recital. I was so afraid of being thought weird, but they gave me a nice complement that we had spent our time as a family learning to dance together. Just call me Von Trapp :D

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
That is so cool! My family all took a dance class together too a few years ago. It was fun. I have always been kind of awkward and was sickly as a kid so I feel like I have improved through the years.

·
Registered
760 Posts
~ Lee ~ Aging gracefully, I like the way you put that. The hardest is admitting you just can't accomplish what you use to in say 10 minutes vesus an hour now. And only do so much as to be able to do so the next day AFTER a good night sleep! :) Good thread.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think the thing to do is focus on what you *CAN* do, not what you can't. There are things I can't do now that I could do years ago, but I don't worry about that stuff. I worry about what I can do, which is quite a lot.

And even though I can't do stuff like stay awake all night or move 100 bales of hay by myself anymore, I don't WANT to do that stuff, either. I think you get so you use your brain instead of your brawn, at least I sure hope so.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts