How much

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Carolyn, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

should the baby drink? I can't remember-- the other babies I had drank their bottles with gusto, this little girl is very gentle and quiet, still after 24 hrs has to have a little "help" getting the nipple in her mouth, she is taking 6 to 8 oz every 4 to 5 hrs. She passed the black tar --- had 2 bouts of that, she pees fine, but hasn't pooped all day--is this something to worry about. I think I saw answers to these questions somewhere, but can't find them. She is active. Carolyn

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Carolyn, I keep baby glycerin supositories in my fridge, I rarely use them but they are there. Whenever I have a question about a kid, too big of tummy, sloshy tummy, hunched up, there butt is just too clean before Merlot comes in to clean everyone up...I do a supository, it is just soo much easier than guessing and wondering. And glycerin does not cause diarrhea if it wasn't needed like putting anything in the milk.

You do exactly what I do, I offer them milk in a 20 ounce bottle, they drink 4 or 5 times a day as much as they want, sometimes half a bottle, sometimes more, sometimes less. As long as when I leave, their tummy is firm and round, they are fine.

Small girls always eat less than big kids, especially boys. With my tiny quads and quints I will leave them on colostrum longer since it has such a laxative effect and is higher in calories. Vicki

3. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

Thank you ---she finally pooped on her own and is drinking more--she gets up now for her bottles, but doesn't cry for the bottle. Carolyn