How much to milk out

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatmom, Mar 4, 2008.

1. goatmom

goatmom New Member

I've always gone about 4-5 days before completely milking out a newly freshened doe -Is this correct? And is it the same for a doe with calcium issues?
    thanks
    Ginger

2. Melissa

Melissa New Member

honestly, starting from day one you should be milking her completely out.
    does' with calcium issues, give them cmpk and don't milk out completely.

-Melissa

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep same here. I milk them completely and also some have to milk 3 or 4 times a day.

4. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Well - I guess I was really mis-informed!!!! Thank you all!

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

A doe that you know has calcium issues...you need to moniter the temp. and draining her of milk will set her up for milk fever.
    A doe that has no problems...you judge by her production. Strutted udder, you milk her. There's no absolute set rule to this. It's your management "eye" and the doe that tells you what to do.

I WISH there was a set rule...it would make life so much simpler.
    Kaye

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Here also the same as Kaye. I milk out milk twice a day all the way out, but not colostrum. The only issues I have ever had with milk fever in early lactation were from taking all the colostrum of does who had high multiples.

It makes sense if you are having problems with metobolic issues like this that you leave her some readibly absorbable calcium from her milk. Same thing with a doe who is not feeling her best at a show, don't take her home on a long haul without some milk in her udder. Vicki