How much should I feed Mini-Manchas

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Daniel Babcock, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

:help

My family just purchased 3 MM doelings they are just over 3 months old. I purchased some commercial "goat feed" pellets at IFA the package suggests feeding at 1.5% of the goats body weight, which is approximately 8 ounces of feed each day. This seems like so little, however the goats seem to be doing well.

We have 3 forested acres, with scrub oak, choke cherry elm and lots of grass and other vegetation. We have also been feeding them approx 6 ounces of grain each day.

As I read through the posts, it seems like most people are feeding 3 pounds of pellets to their full sized Lamanchas.

What would you reccomend as a good feeding program for MM's. I have access to Alf Alfa hay, but think I would rather feed pellets due to waste, clean up etc.

Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hi Daniel Welcome to the forum.
    I have raised MM now for almost 10 yrs all the goats get at least 3 lbs of alfalfa pellets per day, regardless of size. Buck/does/ anybody.
    You don't say what age your goats are or if they are does/bucks or wethers.
    my bucks and wethers only get alfalfa pellets and grass hay or as you have lots of browse that would be it. NO grain at all except when in rutt and being used and then afterwards to get back on their weight. when giving grain to males make sure you have AC available for them.
    All dry does get alfalfa pellets and grass hay or the browse.
    100 days bred the does start getting grain building it up gradually to day of freshening of 1 lb per feeding. on the milk stand only.

Now if your feeding babies they also get the alfalfa pellets/grass hay and grain until 9mo to 1 yr and then just the alfalfa and hay I don't breed my MM until 18 mo old. and at least 1 yr old.
    Read the articles in GOAT 101 by Sue Reith on hypocalcimia and ketosis very good info.

3. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Thanks so much Sondra

sorry I did not make it more clear. Our MM's are all does just over 3 months old. I have really been devouring the information on this forum. Talk about drinking from a firehose I will look at the info by Sue.

I currently have no males and plan on using a breeding buck to cover my does. You don't breed your does till 18 months and your bucks till 1 year. I have been told 9 months or so?

How much will a full grown mm weigh?

Thanks again.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

all depends on the generation of the MM a 1st gen will get up aroun 120 to 130 lb but a 3 or 4 th gen you only looking at 60 to 80 lb. I never never bred them util at least 1 yr but since I bred in the fall a mar kid would just be 7 or 8 mo old so they are held over until the next fall and my reasoning on this is it is a general rule that the ND people go and went with the MM that being said am sure there are those that don't wait. My personal experience in breeding early with 2 does resulted in abortions. Now the bucks can and will breed a doe at 2 mo old so besure and move them out by then. Also take this rule of thumb if you can"t get your fist thru a hole in a chain link fence or find someone else to do it for you, you are going to have a problem helping these small does out if need be. They need all the growth on them we can get prior to breeding also they seem to make better moms if your going to leave babies on them.

5. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

After doing some studying I did not like the fact that my premixed feed had so much molasses in it so I got to looking yesterday and found some Nutrena Top Goat.

Nutrient wise it is better than the 'Premium Goat diner' mix I was feeding before but has no molasses in it :)

The Nutrena top goat suggested feeding at a rate of 1-1.5% if the goats body weight as well (for growing kids).

So I got to figuring. 1.5% of 130 pound MM is 2 pounds not far off. If the doe is milking she needs more.

However 1.5% of my doelings is only 8 ounces. It seems they need more than that. Why would Nutrena reccomend such a small amount?

I also bought some a. pellets. After the mixed meal in a pellet they would not even eat the a. pellets what should I do?

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Sorry Daniel I can't help you out there am guessing your Nutrena is considered a full balance also having alfalfa in it, but I don't know as I don't feed a pellet like that. my babies get a goat pellet that is supposedly a balanced and the alfalfa pellets. however NOPE the babies when young won't eat much if any of the alfalfa pellets because what I can get here is pretty large. if they were small like the goat pellets feed then they would eat it so in the mean time I just feed a cup a feeding of the goat pellet per goat and leave alfalfa pellets out 24/7 for them to nipple on. As they get older and eating more then the alfalfa pellets will be gone too. However all that being said here at my house I don't keep baby bucks and if I do then they get the goat pellet. BUt all the doeings get my whole oats/barley/BOSS/cracked corn and beet pulp mix the same that the big girls in milk get.