How much overdue is cause to worry?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by BlueHeronFarm, Feb 19, 2008.

1. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

I'll start by saying we ran the buck with the ladies, rather than hand breeding, so I don't have exact dates on every doe. (Though I did see most of the breedings. It's great being home all the time now!)

But just out of curiosity, when you do have exact dates and they are overdue, how many days late makes you worry and/or think of inducing? Does it vary by breed? Are some more notoriously "on time" than others?

Last year we had three kid: 145, 150 and 151 days. Nubians.

Just looking for a bigger picture.

Thanks!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Just was told by a lady in N. Ca who raises boers and alpines she hand bred and one went 161 days , delivered tripelts

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

It's normal for Nubians to go past 150 days. Mine usually kid at 150-152 days, but I've had them go from 140-155 days here. I think if one went beyond 155 days, I'd consult my vet.
    Kathie

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Waaaaayyy back before we induced (our first year in goats) we had all of our Nubians go past 150 days. Many went at 151-154 days but we also had a few that went longer; including one that freshened at 159 days. And no, I didn't or wouldn't call my vet for that. ;)

We no longer wait for our does to freshen... they do so on my time, not theirs! :lol

Sara

5. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

:laughcry I love it.

Well we have one I think is at 153. I didn't see the breeding, but am pretty sure.
    I'm not allowing myself to worry since I can't be sure.
    I think it'll be today, though. This morning, from the back, she doesn't even really look preggo anymore - all the babies have dropped underneath and her bag is totally full.

She is an eating machine, though. I would think she would stop if delivery was impending. But what do I know-- I've never been pregnant. ;)

6. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

We hand mate or AI everything here and our average day for our Toggs is 153-154. So that means we have several go to 156 and never get concerned. We have had a whole line that went overdue everytime (up to day 162). Seems like the overdue ones just have a big single or twins around here.
    Yes, some of ours will stop eating but others never want to miss a meal and will stuff themselves with hay or belly up to the feed bunk right through the delivery.
    Mary

7. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Same here! :lol Some even still have their heads in the hay and squatting to deliver kids. Now, that's what's called *spitting 'em out" in the south. ;)

:rofl Now, if we want to get technical here.....what exactly determines the due date? The conception date or the egg implanting to the uterine wall??? Uh, this is where I see that blasted doe grinning! :twisted Only her body knows when to start labor, so don't sweat the small stuff!

LOL...or as Sara stated....they kid on MY appointed due date!!
    Kaye

8. goatsareus

goatsareus New Member

I once had a doe go 156 days, but that is unusal for me. The kid was very well developed, needed castrated and disbudded almost immediately!

Beth Zaring
    Wellston, Ohio

9. Katarina

Katarina New Member

"She is an eating machine, though. I would think she would stop if delivery was impending."

Nyla this year...after her morning grain was put in the kidding pen, where a few hrs later we saw PUUUUSH...eat hay...PUUUUSH...eat hay...even between kids

piggie

10. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Yep - Peggy Sue ate until the major goo rope came out and then started eating again as soon as the three kids were out.
    I am pretty sure she was 153 days this time. She got pregnant at my birthday party -- probably while that rooster was flying into my face. ;)

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Most of mine never quit eating and I have learned to make sure they have alfalfa pellets and hay available :)

12. Katarina

Katarina New Member

Oh, is that what my sisters where talking about?! :lol

13. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

I just had one go 160 days -- and had an 9.1# doeling and a 8.4# buckling! Never again! I about didn't manage to get them out.

Tracy

14. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I have an Alpine doe due 2/18, up untill 2 days ago she was HUGE ( i was thinking for sure at least twins ),and looked like she could pop at anytime, was laying down a lot too. But now, for the last two days she acts like she isn't even preggo anymore, and looks like she isn't cause the kid(s) have dropped - she really doesn't look preggo at all. I can feel the kid(s) very easy under her tummy in front of her udder - very lively little bugger - but i want her to deliver so bad ! I was also wondering how long they should be allowed to go over due as well - so good question :+)

I am sure of her breeding date as well - she was hand bred, and only bred once. Good luck with your girl ! As soon as i get home i'm going to go stare at her and try to will her into kidding - LOL !

15. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Remember, a watched pot never boils... :p

16. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Well, my limited experience says you can start the countdown when you walk out and they don't look preggo anymore. Ours got on with it a few hours after that. :)

Wow, Tracy - those are big kids!

17. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

18. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Same experience here as Beth in Ohio had. I had an Oberhasli yearling go 155 days, big kids and the buckling really needed disbudding which we did at 2 days.

My does usually kid in the 149-152 day range. If I have a doe not eating well and not moving well, I watch her very closely after Day 150.

19. Josie

Josie New Member

I had a doe (sold her last yr) who consistently went overdue. Not just a little over due but a LOT. 6 kiddings and I kept notes on all, she was hand bred and i don't think I made a mistake counting days. The average was 160 days. And yeah, the buck kids needed to be disbudded almost immediately.