How Much Milk?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by kstew497, Mar 15, 2017.

1. kstew497

kstew497 New Member

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I cannot find anything close.
    How much milk do your Nubian does produce on average per milking?
    I am getting a Nubian doe soon and I am new to producing my own dairy so I'm trying to figure out how much milk I need to prepare for.

Thanks in Advance!

2. Goat Town

Goat Town Member

Milk production can be influenced by many factors, not limited to overall management, the does' body condition, stage of lactation, age of the doe, health issues, feeding, even the weather. Now that I've said that, my Nubians, in their best shape, in their milking prime, produce 6 to 7 pounds per doe per day. I weigh milk daily and track it throughout the lactation and that production estimate is based on several years of data. My philosophy is as long as the does produce enough milk to feed the babies, give me milk for household use, including cheese, and some to sell, I'm happy.

By contrast, according to the latest figures released by ADGA for does on milk test top ten producers averaged about 16 pounds per day over 300 to 305 days in milk.

3. jdavenport

jdavenport Member

My girls over 2 years old, go from a gallon at a month fresh, to a gallon and a half at 3 months fresh, down to a gallon at 5 months, and half a gallon at 8 months. This is an average, and I am completely neurotic about their feed intake and nutrient balance, so your results may vary. Keep in mind, that if you buy a new goat she will not produce as much for you at first, because she will be stressed from the move and on different feed than she was at her previous home.

4. cwentworth

cwentworth New Member

milk production and feed connection

i am intrigued by you being picky about their feed. can you talk about that. what do you feed? do you notice a difference in their production? in their body condition? can you elaborate on the connection between the input and output, otherwise known as feed and milk production.