How Much milk per kid?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by kidsngarden, Apr 23, 2008.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

These kids were over a week early, born yesterday. Still here as the new owner couldn't make it out today afterall. 6.5 and 7.5 pounds. Yesterday about all I could really get them to drink was 4 oz each feeding (I fed 5 times). I added colostrum powder to the pasturized GM for those.

Today I gave them more - 6 oz. per feeding, but four times. I've read that people give thier kids "all they can drink" or just 20 oz 4 times a day. Tonight when I fed them their bottle they seemed as if they wanted more. Should I let them have all they want? Can't they get sick from that?

Thanks!

2. MayLOC

MayLOC New Member

I think if they are not accustomed to getting free choice and then one feeding you give them free choice that could make them sick--like any animal species really.

It is what they are used to. I start from day one giving all they will drink and don't have any problems doing that. Often they won't take much at a time the first day or two. Then again some come out and will slurp down a whole bottle.

3. I let kids have all they want. At that age they can probably drink as much as 16 oz per feeding.
    Becky

4. Milo gets what he wants. He's up to 15oz 4x a day.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Since they are going to a new home, just set an amount. New folks get bombarded with too much info. So saying to them, let them drink as much of this 16 ounce bottle of warm milk as they want 4 times a day...is much better. You can also print out after you tweak for your breed the info I put up in goatkeeping101 on kid raising.

You do know colostrum powder is not working for building immunity in those kids. Make sure you stress vaccination and prevention to these people. Vicki

6. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Thanks for the colostrum powder info vicki. I asked on another thread, but it wasn't ever answered.

So their vaccinations will not be the same as if they had gotten real colostrum. They will need them early. Is there a thread that talks about this somewhere?

Thanks,