How much longer with the CMPK???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by kidsngarden, Apr 20, 2008.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

This afternoon I went out for my poor does every couple hour shots. I went to take her temp and she must've thought, "No More of that lady!" and she shot up feebly standing. Then she peed FOREVER. And She pooped. So pee and poop is good, but the poop is wet berries so I gave her more yogurt and she is eating a few alfalfa pellets (prefers those to hay right now, the hay is there too, but she eats the pellets) No rattling in the breathing, nose doesn't seem runny anymore. Temp is .2 degrees shy of her normal.

She did stand for a bit but was shakey. when I gave her the shots she was lying down, but weakly tried to get away. I figure if she starts to fight the shots it is good.

she still does not really want to drink warm cold, molasses or not. She has drunk only a couple of times on her own, the rest of the time I syringe water down her 12 cc's at a time.

She has had two 6 cc doses of biomycin since yesterday for possible pneumonia as well. And bose as well.

So how much longer with the CMPK? (That is A LOT of work doing the shots every two hours all night! I'm pooped! Next time I'd like to try an IV or whatever and get it done over 15 minutes!

Do I continue with the anitbiotic?

She is due to kid may 1st, what shall I do to continue to prepare for that?

Thanks!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Since you don't have a diagnosis on this doe, you can't stop the antibiotic because it may be the reason the temp is down. I would lute her (if she can ONLY be due on the 1st) and get the kids out of her about 4 days early. Because you have to keep up with the CMPK.

Right now everybody reading this go out and get a 12cc syringe.....now get a 2 quart mason jar. Now fill up a 2 quart mason jar with water via the 12cc syringe. How long does it take, now do this every 6 hours.....you are wasteing your time. You can not hydrate a goat like this. Vicki

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

So I will have to keep giving her the CMPK until she delivers?

So today is the 20, she is not due until May 1st. That means if I go to the vet and get lute, I need to be giving her CMPK for six more days if I lute her on 4 days early??? Every two hours??? Her breeding was supervised so I know that May 1st is the date.

Yes, I do realize that syringing is not the best way....

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

The lute and dex take around 36 hours, so 4 days early plus 36 hours. Once she stabilizes you can go to every 6 hours during the day...I am not convinced you are dealing with hypocalcemia anyway. You are giving the CMPK under the skin? She shouldn't be hurting from that. You could also move to oral if she was say 90%. Sorry I wasn't in on this from the beginning. Vicki

5. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Yes, the CMPK is sub q. I just don't think she likes being poked at.

I just went out again. she stood up again. pooped and pee'd a lot. She will drink now if I hold the bucket right to her face. just to where her mouth is. I've been going out now every hour to do this and she drinks about 2 cups. This last time she had drunk out of her bucket while I was away too. she is still really shakey on her feet.

I am wondering if it was pneumonia anyway. I think the antibiotics and bose are what has helped this doe as her breathing turnaround even 4 hours after one dose of antibiotics was HUGE. but the drop in temp is weird.

I'm sorry you weren't here too. I'm also sorry I wasn't more prepared....I've learned a great deal from this.

I am very nervous about luting her as I have never done it. I'm hoping my vet will agree to get me it.

6. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Also, her temp was DOWN to 100 when she got sick, not up. Which is why hypocalcemia is one of the things we thought it might be..