How much epenpherine would I need

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Keeperofmany, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

I am giving my 3rd shot of CD/T today and I am getting a bit nervous after sticking these little guys so much and the adults too. How much should I have on hand and how much would I give to a little one verses an adult? Does it go by weight?

Wendy

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I was told that it was 1cc per 100 lbs... you could use a tuberculin syringe to dose out for little ones.

3. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Doesn't matter now, The vet wouldn't give it to me. They told me to use Benedryl. Will that work.

Wendy

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Good Grief :really I honestly don't think you'll have an actual issue with giving the kids their injections, but I would have to say that no, if they go into anaphlyactic shock, then Benedryl won't help. Benedryl is great for bee stings and such if all that is happening is swelling and swallowing isn't an issue. I would find a vet that will give you at least 1cc in a tuberculin syringe, you can keep it in the fridge just in case..

5. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

I am at a loss as to what to do. They are suppose to have their 3rd shot today and I am really scared that something will go wrong and the vet is closed. Oh brother. At the vets they told me they never use it. They have a bottle there that is way old and covered in dust. It seems I am fighting a loosing battle with the vets now, they won't even return my calls.

Wendy

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

in all my years have never had to use it so Wendy just give the CD/T shots the kids will be ok.

7. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I have only had to use it once and it was with a totally different drug (ReCover) not even labled for goats, really stupid of me to give it in the first place. I've never had a problem with a vaccine either. My epi always expires unused...fortunately.

8. I've hadto use epinephrine twice.

Belive me, when you need it you really need it.

There is no way to predict when a goat will have an anaphylactic reaction.

You need to order some online or find a new vet because thsi is a drug I will NEVER be without.

Becky