How much colostrum?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Not sure if this has been answered before, I checked Goat Keeping 101 but couldn't find anything on it.

How much colostrum should a kid have?

Thankyou :)

2. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

I don't have a set amount, but no less then 2 cups in the first 24 hours. One set of triplets this year drank the gallon the dam milked. They weren't even large kids, (8, 5 1/2, & 5 pounds)

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

whethers to be at least 4 oz, no more than 8. beautiful doe kids 20 oz's then the extra gets frozen.

4. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

I want to add that I use cow colostrum for my doelings and breeding bucks, wethers get raw milk. I will heat be treating everyones milk this year. If I don't use a full 2 liter bottle it just gets mixed into their milk the next day. Sure they can't use the anitbodies anymore, but it still must do some good.

5. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I rembmer Vicki saying that each needs 20 oz. within the first 12 hours. She also said that they usally consume that in their first few feedings :) Little piggies they are I guess...I know I can't wait !!!!

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep mine all get at least 20 oz and the does get it from my oldest does the bucks and or those going for meat get it from 1st fresheners. I give them at least 16 oz of 1st day colostrum then move to 2nd day colostrum. Everything else is frozen.

(Lambs and kids that are too weak to nurse can be fed colostrum with a nippled bottle or stomach tube. It is recommended that lambs receive 10 percent of their weight in colostrum by the time they are 24 hours old. This means that a 10 pound lamb should receive one pound (16 ounces) of colostrum within 24 hours of birth. Colostrum should be fed at blood temperature (102-103°F, 39-40°C), 2 to 4 ounces at 3 to 4 hour intervals. A 60 cc syringe holds 2 ounces of colostrum.)

7. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

All of my kids get a minimum of 20 ounces of colostrum. I don't skimp with my buck kids, because I sell a select few for breeding bucks, and all the others are pre-sold, before birth, for show wethers.

8. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I tend to keep feeding colostrum as much as they will take for the first 2 days or so...but that needs to change as I never have any left over to freeze for emergencies. I also don't heat treat for buck kids unless I have someone after them...unwanted bucks don't last long here.

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

LOL...I posted a post on here, but took it down because I thought it in bad taste. WELL...I'm putting it back after a few posts above.

Un-reserved, not being kept by me, or inferior bucklings...get NO COLOSTRUM. They don't need it where they're going- coyote bait.(at birth) There's just too many inferior bucklings kept because they're cute or spotted, or someone *might* want one? And dam raising?...it ain't happening here EVER AGAIN! I kept one buckling, that I wanted, on his dam, because the bucks from this same breeding all sold the two years in a row she had bucks. I was keeping this one, and being dam raised, I certainly wasn't selling him. Well...he was a ROYAL PITA the whole time he was with his dam! Coming into the milk room with her, causing chaos in the holding pens, and getting bashed when he got in someone's way. NOPE, won't happen again! That was the 1st and last dam raised kid in 29yrs. of goats, here.

The reserved bucklings or bucklings kept for my herd, get just as much colostrum as my doelings. Why would I skimp on bucklings being used for herdsires? They should get as much quality care as doelings, in my opinion.
    :soap
    Kaye

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I should have worded my post a little different the buck kids going for meat, which I butcher now by 8 wks old get 2nd day colostrum or colostrum from 1st fresheners.

11. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Well I didn't even mention bucks in mine. lol! I always seem to sell Most of my 4-h whethers, they get about half the colustrom of doe kids around here. Ones I consider buck worthy, preordered or I'm thinking of keeping for me ( which I always seem to sell in the fall) get the 20 ounces. I've kept a nice buckkid out of bonnie every year and still don't own one. Lol! this years was expecially nice and such a sweetheart in temperment as well. I do have him bred to one 2008 doe kid for mid march. This years possible buck kids to keep for this falls breeding to 2009 doe kids include Capulet, Bonnie, Maybe Torrie.