How much alfalfa hay?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Feb 18, 2008.

1. When my does are in milk, I cant find ANY alfalfa hay. When my girls are dry, thats all I can get.

I'm feeding 3 purebred nubian does. A 2 yr old, 3 yr old, and one thats almost a yearling. The yearling and 2 yr are dry and not pregnant. The 3yr is dry and MIGHT be pregnant if so she's due in June.

I was feeding free choice grass hay with alfalfa pellets.

Now all I can get is Alfalfa hay, and I wont be complaining! That stuff is hard to find and my uncle has it and is giving us a price cut.
    This hay is mostly all alfalfa.

How much should they be getting?
    Its been a long time since I fed alfalfa, and even then I was feeding pygmys, I didn't have the nubians at that time.

Thanks in advance!

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I think if they are 50 lb bales of good quality, that a third of a bale a day would be good. If they clean up every drop a little more but surely not an entire 1/2 bale a day.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Also go slow at first with this change as some alfalfa hay can be quite hot and cause problems if they aren't used to it. So start off with a little and then increase.

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I feed alfalfa. When I feed small squares, I give each adult doe one flake per day, more if they clean it all up. My bales are 90-100# and the flakes are dense. To avoid hot alfalfa, we wait 30 days from when it is put up till we feed it.

5. Thanks for the replies.

The bales are probably around 50lbs.