How many and which blood tests?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Feral Nature, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Ok, I'm trying to start off the year right and am thinking ahead to testing.

Last time I just had the herd tested for CAE and CL by WADDL. They were all negative.

Now I am looking at the PAVL website

http://www.pavlab.com/services/index.html

and am wondering about testing for Brucella and Johnes.

That would be $19.00 per goat just for testing, not including any other fees or postage. I have 16 goats here. 14 does, 2 bucks, 2 wethers.

It adds up.

Do yall routinely test for all of these? I will be selling milkers this spring and want my test paperwork in hand.

2. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

When I did my testing in April 2007, I got Johnnes as well as CAE & this time Dec 2007, I intended to get Brucella but forgot to check off that box. I called the lab at WSU & was told not to waste my money, that goats rarely ever have brucella.

3. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

My vet told me that years ago, back in the early 90s, that he had never seen Brucellosis in goats.

I am just wondering what is right and proper to do when their raw milk is used as food.

4. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

so CAE, CL and Johnes? That is $15.00 per head. $240. for the herd. That would not be doable all at once. So for sale does tested first? Help me figure out a plan that is workable please!

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Do what you can afford. first and foremost would be the ones for sale I guess Wether would be last on the list Prime buck used and then the rest of your does.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would test anyone you are selling for sure via WSU for CAE, so they can leave with their test, also show their CL negative tests from last year, so if someone isn't on it, than redo just theirs. I don't do all the rest for sales. Even CL is dubious at best, let alone Johnnes.

I do test for staph masitits for myself, and abortion panels on incoming adult goats. But for others, they would have to pay me to run the tests.

IF you want to test your herd for Johnnes than do all the homework on it, AGID the poop, Elissa bloodtest. Colostrum test via PAVL of everyone who freshens at your house for yourself. I only use blood testing for sales, once a doe has previously been tested by blood negative.

How I deal with the wonder part in my herd is to test a later born kid who has had colostrum and or milk from most of the does in milk. And honestly so many of my customers test, I am fairly confident.

And if you are confident in your testing last year, than simply sell the does with a contract that states that if in 30 days from the date of the sale the owner has a CAE positive test result on this doe, that you will cheerfully refund the money and the person can return the signed paperwork on the doe.

Or :) IF you have a WSU bloodtest from last year, send her off with just a colostrum test from PAVL from this kidding. Vicki

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

The main thing I test for is CAE. I had some of my original goats tested for CL, but don't do this regularly as I buy my goats from abcess free herds and have never had CL on my place. The couple of times I've had to test for Brucillosis and TB to ship goats to out of state dairies, the tests have always come back negative. The only time I have those tests done is when a dairy requests and pays for them. An experienced goat breeder friend says Johnnes tests are unreliable, so I don't waste money with that test.