How long?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Thermopkt, May 4, 2008.

1. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

How long can this go on?! I have a yearling FF who has no tail ligs as of yesterday, mid morning. Her bag is fairly full, you could see it getting more so as the day wore on. She has a white discharge and a gaping (I guess is the word) vulva. It's bigger than before and you can see a lot of pink. Most stuff I've read says that most does kid 10-12 hours after the ligaments go. How long can she hold out? Probably until the meeting I have Tues that I CANNOT miss. :really

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

bet she goes today

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

(26 days ago)...My FF doe had the thick white discharge during the night and by 8:30am the next morning she was pushing a kid out. I'm guessing your's will go anytime now.

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

It would depend on her due date and her breed. I've had goats show a white discharge and a swollen vulva a week before they kid and others who don't have much of an udder nor show discharge until the day they kid. I have one right now that has me wondering - mostly because she was pen bred. I have down that she looked bred and would then be at 150 days on 5/3. She isn't very big, but last night I noticed that her udder has grown and she's a bit hollow along the top line. She had a bit of discharge this morning and I can feel a baby when I touch her side. I'll just have to keep watching her as she will likely kid in the next day or so. Kathie

5. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I should have posted a long time ago! I just finished here, and there she went. One of each and they're so cute! Of course. Now, how long do I give her to pass the placenta?

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

12 hours, lots of massage and milking. It releases natural oxytocin. If by tommorrow morning you don't have placenta on the ground, and it should be hanging out as of now, than small 1/2 cc amounts IM of oxytocin every several hours as you milk will drag the placenta out of her. It's not the emergency that some think, it's just an emergency to our nose and eyes :) Now a true retained placenta where nothing is hanging out ever, than it's vet time. Lutelyse to open her back up and give you contractions, antibiotics and a flushing of her uterus. vicki

7. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Congrats on the kids! Yippee! Some does eat the placenta when it is passed. So keep checking. But I guess you probably knew that. :)