How long to keep a buck?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Terri-Lynn, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Terri-Lynn

Terri-Lynn New Member

I have a leased buck in with my 3 does and I have been checking everyone 2x a day. Two of the girls seemed to have their heat and were bred within a week of him being here (and marked on the calender!!) but I haven't noticed my third girl getting any extra attention or showing any for that matter. I'm assuming everything happened while I was away for a day or something (but maybe not?). This doe has had kids previously so...How long should I keep him here? BTW It's been 3 weeks now. Thanks!

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

The only way to be sure is to have a blood test for pregnancy done on her. The info is in 101.

Christy

3. coso

coso Guest

I would at least wait another 21 days after you saw the two does bred to see if they cycle again. If it was me I would keep him until you got a blood test back on them to make sure they are bred. It's 28 days after breeding that you can pull blood and test through Biotracking. $22.50 plus shipping is not very much for peace of mind.

4. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Biotracking charged us 7.50 for the test.

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I think Chris was referring to 3 tests @ $7.50 each to come up with the $22.50.

Being you are in Canada... can you even ship blood to Bio Tracking for testing?

Sara