How long does it take your does milk to be drinkable?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Jan 29, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I am seeing a wide variation in my does...

We have usually given it 10-14 days post kidding... a friend says 4-5days on hers

Cinn when we tried at 7 days was fine....

Gypsy was good at 9 days when we tried

BS was good at 7 days

Dolce is a good heavy milker, but we have tried her twice and my official milk connoseur still say ICK... at 11 days

This is the first yr we have tasted at less than 10-14 days.... so I wondered about you all...

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

UM I use my milk after 4 days normally.

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

hmmm are we just extra picky????

4. MayLOC

MayLOC New Member

I am a super picky milk tester myself :D. I have noticed a big variation with my does also. The longest has been a big milking saanen. Last year her milk was undrinkable to me until almost three weeks fresh. STill not as good as the others until she was about a month and a half fresh and then delicious until she dried up two weeks ago at 11 1/2 mo.

5. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Thank you Mayloc... I was wondering if there was something wrong with me or our does....

And this goats milk was GOOD last yr... so I know it is not just *her* in general...

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

could be did you worm her at the day of freshening or later did you use a different wormer any antibiotics etc. Is she the one not drinking water.

7. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

wormed same as all...

no antibiotics for her...

not sure how it is water as she is currently giving the 2nd highest amount of milk... mostly high 7/low 8... with one venture up to 9.5...

8. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

I normally wait til about 3-4 weeks. I start milking mine sooner, but use it for kids. I always worm the day they freshen & then at 10 days & I don't wnat to drink wormer :). Since I always have several in milk at a time, I don't have to have it any sooner then that anyways

9. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I generally wait 10 days, because I worm them the day they kid...

10. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Well her's was still icky yesterday, but VR who is 8 days fresh was pronounced good today....

11. Nigilover

Nigilover New Member

That is so cute--- your connoseur pronouncing "ick"--- kids don't mess around do they! I also have seen wide variations with my girls. I can usually tell by the color when it will be drinkable. That first milk is so yellow here.

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well gosh Lynn have been thinking abt this and I usually save my first 24 hrs of colostrum then the babies get the 3 day and by the 4 th day everyone get it as tis pooled for all babies and pasturized so really I lied as I don't think I have ever drank it myself on the 4 th day but by then there isn't colostrum in so I can pasturize.

13. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

14. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

7 days if it is the first doe kidding that year cause we need milk...later if it is the second, maybe 10 days as it taste better to us after 10 days.

15. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I feel a little out of the loop here.. :lol We start drinking it by day 3. After kidding, I milk out colostrum a few times (I aim for 4) in the first 24 hour period, then totally milk her out. By day two, she's getting on the stand and I'll do a regular milking and put that up for kids. By the third day, it's ours! No ickys whatsoever.. :)