How long does it take you to milk?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by fmg, Sep 14, 2012.

1. fmg

fmg New Member

Some of the conversation we were having on another thread had me thinking and wondering, how long it takes others to milk their goats.

So, how long does it take, from getting to the barn, to finished cleaning up?

How many does are you milking?

Do you use a machine or milk by hand? How many do you milk at a time, and how many come in at a time?

What breed(s) do you milk, and what is the average amount of milk you get per doe?

2. squeak

squeak New Member

Start to finish: About an hour and 3/4 (includes putting out hay), less in the evening.
    Milking 14, feeding out a total of 21, future milking max of 20.
    Hand milking, setting up for a machine that milks 2 at a time. 2 sittings, 7 each time.
    Toggenburgs, 4 - 5.5 Litres per doe per day.

I've done this for a season and found that it takes me as long to set out the food and organise the goats as it does to milk, so I'm building a platform that allows me to bring in 20 at a time (the 21st is a buck, so I'm not leaving one out!). I'm super curious about other methods and will look forward to other responses. What do you do Nancy?? And Vikki, I think I read in a previous post that you would rather trim feet then milk by hand ..... perhaps we could work something out? :)

3. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

It takes me about 45 minutes to milk 5 goats by machine. Three are tied to the wall with a feed trough and two are up on stands. I don't milk as soon as they get in, giving the two on the stands time to eat so in that time I can feed the dogs, horses, or chickens. I dawdle in between, mixing more grain (I only put out small quantities at a time because they don't always eat the whole ration on the milkstand), and depending on who I'm milking (some take longer than others), I can get hay out to the feeders and bucks, as well.

Each doe is milking at least 4 lbs. and one up to 6 lbs (per milking). All are FF's.

But most of the time it takes longer because I like to take my time. Sip coffee and listen to NPR in the morning, have a cocktail, talk to my husband and listen to country in the evening.

4. doodles

doodles New Member

to feed and milk ...about 2 hours am and pm

5. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Morning chores take longer here than evening chores. Morning chores means feeding the bucks, (we grain and give hay). Waterers are automatic but are cleaned out daily. Dry stock is also fed once daily. The milkers have hay put out each morning. The actual milking takes about an hour - depending on how many we are milking.

When kids are born, that adds at least another hour - sometimes more.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Buck

Just under 1 hour in the AM and 1 hour in the PM plus another 15-30 minutes at night to double check everything and observe the herd. We are milking 20, but also have a buck barn and 4 other pens of kids, drys or breeding pens that need to be checked and water filled up. This is "work time" though..no cocktails or drinks in hand or other distractions :)

7. Island Creek Farm

Island Creek Farm New Member

30 min...only two hand milked Alpines, about 3/4 gallon per doe per milking. Includes feeding and filtering milk, though I'm feeding ten.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Buck

Tim - kidding season defintetly takes longer here too.

Angela - you didn't say how many does you are milking - I bet it's quite a few more than I.

9. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho New Member

Milked 12 this morning, by machine - hand stripping - cleaned up and back in the house in 35 minutes.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Buck

Thanks Tracy..that makes my 1 hour time for 20 (and honestly sometimes I am a little faster plus this includes the time to walk down to the barn and back to the house) seem reasonable and right inline with your time per goat.

11. Goat Town

Goat Town Member

It takes me right at an hour to feed the herd, milk, process the milk, and clean up. I am milking six nubians by machine two at time. The whole herd is started on feed outside and the milkers come inside two by two. The first set is the first fresheners. The second set is the third fresheners, and the final set is a sixth freshener and her second freshner doe. The does determined the milking order and it works out well even under adverse conditions like this morning.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Buck

I wish i could say mine are trained to come out in order, there are defintetly those that are usually first and then the more mellow stragglers whom are usually in the last group..but that first 6 is always a rush for the door...

13. swgoats

swgoats New Member

When I was milking five by hand, it took me 2 hours. I am sloooow.

14. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho New Member

We milk 3 at a time....there is no particular set order, just whoever is at the gate first.

15. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats New Member

When I hand milked two goats who give half a gallon each milking, it took twenty minutes from the time I walked out of the kitchen with my bucket until I walked back in with the milk. I used the time while their teat dip dried or they were finishing their grain to feed the junior does and bucks.
    Using a machine will be quicker as I get better at it, but for now it is taking 30 or 45 minutes to do the same two goats and feed the juniors and bucks.

16. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I am machine milking five right now and it takes me about one hour, this includes clean up time.. they are waiting at the gate in order every morning..This is one Saanan (milking about 7 lbs) four Nigerians, each milking around 1.5 lbs each..
    I strip them out after machine milking.. this time also includes filling hay bin and fresh water buckets..
    I love morning milkings, my quiet time with the does
    Barb

17. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

does everybody hand strip after machine milking?

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Buck

We do. We don't like to leave the machine on too long.

19. Annie

Annie New Member

Morning chores for me, about 1/2 hr. - milking one doe (about a quart), feeding horses and one buck, feeding 7 chickens, turning all 7 does out to pasture. Straining milk/cleaning up.

Evening chores (hubby *thinks* he helps) about 15 min. - letting does in barn from pasture, milking same doe, feeding other 6 does - checking water buckets. Straining milk/cleaning up.

I have water in the barn (we "catch" it off the metal roof into 150 gallon container), and a good spring at the bottom of the pasture. Sooo much easier than hauling like we used too.

I had 4 other does in milk this spring, but decided to dry them off due to my current health issue. One doe in milk is plenty for me :)

20. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If I am rushed I can have the 8 milked this year, back in and the milk in the freezer in less than an hour, but it means cutting corners because I need to be somewhere etc.

Like at Tim's morning chores is feeding bucks, checking waterers, checking the stock, feeding the kids, hay, alfalfa pellets, minerals, and then afterwards leaf blowing off everything and making sure it's cute in case a milk customer or soap class wants to visit the girls. So it is much closer to 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours, but machine milking also means I can piddle and do stuff while the girls are being milked.

4 go up, 2 are milked at a time. I hand milk the last of the milk on each doe, massage and make sure they are empty....right into the open inflation...I hate the word stripped, that's a cow tug and pull term, and I don't do that to my does :) Vicki