how long can a goat be overdue?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Dana, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Dana

Dana New Member

Just wondering. Has anyone had a goat go naturally when she was overdue and had long before she kidded?

I know I've had some goats that I didn't have due dates on when I first got into goats. So maybe there was an overdue one and I just didn't know it. but I'm curious how far it could go?

Right now my Emmy is 3 days over, but she was induced yesterday- so we'll see how long she takes.

2. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Hi Dana, I don't know howlong they can go overdue or what the longest has ever been without complications, but I don't let my gals go over, those kids get big fast.. I sure learned that my first year with a doe that went 4 days and those kids were huge and ended up needing to be pulled, heads back, they both weighed in at over 5 lbs which is huge for a ND.. So I have never let it happen again..Maybe Vicki or someone can answer better..

3. prairie nights

prairie nights New Member

Had does at a friend's farm go 5-7 days overdue, healthy kids born naturally, no complications. This is not in approval or disapproval just to answer the question. The longest overdue here was 2yo FF, kidded on day 154, no problems. We have Nubians.

4. MayLOC

MayLOC New Member

Seems like several of ours have been overdue this year. While I was waiting... and waiting... I searched the threads here and found a couple that had them go to 162 or 163 and I think one mentioned a 166.
    One of ours went to 162 this year. She was only bred one time, so I was positive on her date. All mine seem to go a few days over and seem to follow their own same pattern pretty closely each year also. But that one was a little excessive this year and it was during a very cold spell so it seemed a long wait.

5. Dana

Dana New Member

Kassi, did your does have trouble with their deliveries?

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Make sure you note the breeds. Rarely did our LaManchas ever get to 150 days while our Nubians usually kidded on day 150. I had a natural 157. I also don't let my goats go over. If you don't kid on your due date you get lutelysed. But my young does who are simply bullied with a buck, most I have no idea when they are bred let alone when they will kid, I go by udder and ligiments, so can't tell you if they are kidding on time or super late. I would never interveen on a pregnancy if I didn't have an exact due date, all breeders seem to have to abort one doe who kids way to early to save the kids, to learn their lesson on lutelyse. I know I did.

In fact in talking to someone on the forum recently I have come to the conclusion that most lessons learned come from personal experience, so much of what we try to do here, keep folks from having to learn the heartbreak we have...doesn't really work. When you make mistakes is the only time most will not make the mistake again. V

7. catdance62

catdance62 New Member

All mine (this year at least) have kidded no later than day 152. I talked to an old country vet the other day about this topic and he said he wouldn't let them go more than 7 days past due, if the due date was certain

8. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I thought my 7yr.old older doe was never going to deliver, she was days past her delivery and had had goo for a week but this morning she kidded with 1 buck and 2 does with 1 doe being breech :lol
    I never get a calender and count the days off but I just find a online due date calculator and I find that the days that are projected that a doe kids on, varies depending on the breed of goat that the person owns ,so I do nothing to my does and just wait unless there seems to be a problem with my doe .

9. Dana

Dana New Member

I'm glad I induced Emmy at day 152. She kidded this morning on day 154. I was there for her if things were to go wrong, but thankfully they didn't. She just had BIG doeling and then a littler doeling. If I had let her go longer I think she would have had huge trouble getting #1 out. Whew!

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Glad it all worked out!! Congrats

11. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Good to hear Dana, and you got doelings..

12. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

Wonderful Dana! And two doelings to boot! Congrats :biggrin
    Tam

13. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

Awesome! I'm glad for you!

14. WGF

WGF New Member

Congrats on the two does.

15. lorit

lorit Senior Member

Last year my FF went on day 154 with no problems. This year my 2ndF just kidded at 155 days with no problems. Both Alpines. I know my dates and watch carefully for signs of anything out of ordinary.

16. I think the longest I have had a couple of does carry is to day 157. I have a couple of 3/4 Nubian, 1/4 LaMancha/Alpine does from the same family that tend to run anywhere from 1530157 consistently without any kidding issues.
    We have used lutalyse once and it was with a doe I had thought had been in labor (and she had) but she stopped and two days later (Day 152 or something) we luted her. It did not end well, but not because we luted her.
    Vicki, I hear you on that! I can tell people over and over how to do things and why and they still insist on learning it the hard way.

17. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

Congrats on the doelings, Dana!

18. catdance62

catdance62 New Member

doeling twins--that's great!

19. Debbie58

Debbie58 New Member

Dragging up this old post. How about Nigerian Dwarfs their gestation is 145 days.

20. Margaret

Margaret New Member

For Nigerians I would let them go at least 6-7 days before considering lutalyse for induction.