How late can a doe be aborted with lute??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by ozark_jewels, Sep 21, 2008.

1. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Have a friend who has a very small Boer/Dairy doeling. I'm guessing this doeling can't be over 40 lbs and I think thats a generous estimation. I saw her today and immediately started wondering if she could be pregnant. The friend said that the buckling did get out about three months ago and it was this doeling that he paid attention to.......she didn't think he got her.

Question:
    How late can Lute be used and can you abort a goat at this late stage?

After I left, I just kept thinking about it and I truly don't think this kid is going to be able to safely deliver kids in two months time....and if she is only carrying a single??<shudder>

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's never not safe to abort. Delivering dead non term kids is not harmful to the doe unless they are too large. With kids getting most of their growth in the last 50 days of pregnancy the sooner the better would of course be the answer.

In humans abortion is tied to religious belief and when life begins and the viability of the fetus. So with livestock if you take away this, you can see that there is no answer to your questions because the question is moot. Abort her at day 11 or day 100 or day 140 it can't harm the doe because it is just fetal material to her body. The further into pregnancy the more mammary you will have and a lactation if aborted very late, rarely thought a normal amount of milk lactation.

What is your thought process in asking this why would you think it could harm the doe to abort her? Vicki

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I didn't think it would be harmful to the doe, just if *lute* would still work at this late in the game. Wasn't sure if it just worked early on or not.....thanks for the answer, I'm going to reccomend that she do that asap.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep I aborted a very tiny doe last year late term and she had triplets with no hair but better than having live hugh honkers that she couldn't deliver.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I know Kaye knows this stuff backwards and forwards, maybe she will come on and explain the CL thing on how lute works for both bringing them into heat and ending the pregnancy. Vicki

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Ok, we gave the Lute last Tuesday. I haven't seen her since then but the owner said she was mopey for two-three days, never saw any blood, or discharge though. Now she is back to normal, said her belly looks the same. The belly thing doesn't surprise me, but shouldn't there have been some bloody discharge noticable at least?

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Not necessarily. They can abort and at most have a few tail hairs wet. If you don't catch her at the right time, then you may not even see that.

If she was bred, and aborted, then she should come back into heat a few days from the shot. If she wasn't bred and the lute worked...then she should come back into heat a few days after the shot. Whichever, a return to heat would signifiy that the shot worked.
    Kaye

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Ok, good! That makes me feel better. I'll tell them to watch for heat, but being very new to goats I'm not sure they will notice a heat cycle. I'm not nearly close enough to see her every day.