how early can a doe kid?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Good Goats, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

I was wondering how early a doe can kid and the kids be OK with a little help?? I have a doe that is due May 15th, her udder is big, her ligaments are loose (& her vulva is swollen). She's had mucus on and off for a little while but earlier this afternoon she had a small amount of white mucus. I'm just "babying" her now. Her granddam kidded a few weeks early to sextuplets....

I had a doe earlier this year who had some sort of white mucus two or so wks before she kidded this year to a big buckling. Thanks for any info!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

A week tops. I wouldn't worry, an early delivery has no signs like this, you go out and the are aborting kids. The older and fatter a doe gets the more discharge they can have before kidding and have perfectly normal kids, and boy oh boy the looser that vulva can get "a good sneeze and it looks like the kids would shoot across the barn". Relax. vicki

3. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Haha... thanks Vicki. I wasn't all too concerned about her anyway. This is only her second kidding, and she's a little over two yrs old.

4. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

The same question's been on my mind lately, too. Spice, my LaMancha, is due May 8. I've been watching her suspiciously for a week or so now. She hasn't had any discharge, and still has room for her udder to fill (I think... she only has one side), but her vulva is swollen, elongating, and red and she looks like she's gonna pop. I always wondered how early she could kid and the babies be fine. Thanks for answering that for me, too.
    Kathy

5. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

I had a doe kid last year on day 143 and the kids were fully developed and fine. So that's a week early.

6. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

We had a FF.. who was due last Friday, whose vulva got ENORMOUS 2 weeks before the due date, and swelled out like she was going to poop out a baby elephant any second! AND, if she snorted or sneezed........ like Vicki said! Looked likes kids would go shooting out across the barn! I was POSITIVE the "blessed event" would be a few days early, but NOPE! She pooped those twins out right on her due date, and both are fine! :)

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I once had a Nubian doe that kidded at 140 days. They were already born when I found them as I wasn't expecting her to kid. The two bucklings were dead. The doeling was alive. I had my friend tube her the first feeding, and then she was able to suck. I gave her a shot of dex to help her lungs develop. Apparantly, she was still lacking something because she picked up pneumonia at a goat show when she was a few months old and I lost her. Lesson here for me: don't show preemie goats as kids, even of they are growing well.
    My friend had a La Mancha doe kid at 139 days and the kids made it. I was there when they were born. The doe was an old girl. Kathie

8. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

:really
    139? Oh crud. Now you've got me worrying. Spice is on day 136 today. But I think we still have time. She's still swishing her tail - so she still has ligaments. No shiny udder, no discharge yet. Her babies will only be my second delivery - the first was in January. Cinnamon's on day 132 now. Still nothing from her either. Boy I hope there's no trouble.....
    Kathy

9. tioga13

tioga13 Guest

In my experience some does can look ready to go for a few weeks before they are due, but they go right on time anyway. A couple of my senior does have huge udders, very soft ligs, occasional discharge, and swollen and loose vulva for three weeks before hand.

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

It is not usual for goats to kid as early as those I shared about. Most of my Nubians go over 150 days. La Manchas tend to kid earlier, but most don't go until 145 days. The doe that kidded at 139 days was 9 years old when that happened and she had other health issues. While my Nubians usually don't get huge bags until they are about ready to kid, my Snubian bags up sooner and my friend's Swiss breeds sometimes have fairly large bags for almost a month before they kid. Kathie

11. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Well Spice, my Lamancha, is at day 140 today. I've been out there 5 or 6 times a day in the last week. Just checked her this morning. Nothing new yet.... I'm getting nervous!! She looks pretty big, but I don't think it'll be more than twins. I worry about her for more than one reason though - she only has one side of her udder. I'm already planning on having to bottle feed if she has more than a single - and she probably will. This will be her second kidding.

And, someone told me that since she and Cinnamon are so close to each other in due date, that I shouldn't be surprised if Cinnamon goes early when Spice goes into labor (sympathy labor??). I have a hard enough time grasping the idea of delivering babies at all, but two does in labor at once!? I'll lose my mind! :crazy

Nerves... nerves...

Kathy

12. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I have had over 1/2 doz now kid on day 142 or 143 with FULLY formed perfect kids that needed NO help. Carmella last Fri was confirmed day 142 we walked her to the buck that day... and her kid came out hollaring & sucking!

I have LM & MM...

13. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Seems like LM's kid sooner.... but just from what I've heard - never bred them.

14. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Spice is at day 141 today.... she's miserable and I'm going nuts :). Up and down, up and down. Sitting with her forehead propped against whatever she's lying down beside. When she stands, she stretches out like she's really uncomfortable (I'm sure she is! She looks like she swallowed a beach ball). Still no discharge. No more swollen than the last week, but still looking like she's gonna pop. She's a moody witch so she won't stand still long but from what I can feel, she really doesn't have much in the way of ligaments - but she still swishes her tail, so there's still SOME there. Udder is not stretched out and shiny, but her udder isn't typical so I don't know if that'll help me out anyway.

I was told the day she kids she'll get really loving. If that's true, it'll be a clear sign, because she's not the most loving goat I have by a long shot. :)

(Sorry if my worrying in print is driving you all nuts! This is only my second kidding :) and I've never even had HUMAN babies! We adopted ours! :) )
    Kathy

15. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Hang in there, Kathy! Check your PMs please

16. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

I have a doe that is still at about 4 weeks from kidding (she could be a little earlier as it was a "the buck broke in" story but the breeder recorded a "contact" date so who knows but at anyrate..). She is a FF. Her udder is enlarged but not filled, ligs are softer than a dry doe but still there and her vulva is HUGE and puffy, way bigger than my 3d freshing doe due a week sooner. All girls' (animals and humans alike) bodies are gonna handle things differently. She'll be fine! Just keep monitoring her.
    Patina

17. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Don't worry.... I'm sure she'll be fine!