How does one "Check out" a herd?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by kidsngarden, Jan 12, 2008.

1. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Has anyone mentioned so far seeing the test results on CAE tests and such! I think thats important with an otherwise unknown to you breeder who says their herd is "disease free". Seems like I keep hearing stories of people who trust that and then find out later when they have problems that it just isnt so- the breeder later says they meant they never saw any disease, but just didnt mention they didnt test for it, either.

2. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Yes, I will always ask for testing results...

Thank you Vicki for explaining things further. I'm beginning to get it I think.

I need a local mentor. I am not sure how to begin. I have looked at the ADGA links and there really isn't one close to me. The is a dairy goat club here, maybe I'll join, but how do I know they really know what they are talking about????

Bethany

3. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

4. Josie

Josie New Member

I started with the idea I'll just breed my goats up too. But really, when what you have is poor sometimes its best just taking the plunge and "getting what you pay for" and starting over. In my case I got the three from Tracy very reasonably!

It's pretty tough to make these decisions though!! :)

5. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Are you close enough to anyone on this forum to go visit them? (Without expecting that you are going to buy animals?) Or other herds who show? We find it very helpful to see different herds and joined a club so we could do so. :D

6. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I can see shannon at Galloping goats, if she'd let me - she lives in port angeles and do do my parents! But we only go May-Sept. they live on a lake so they host all the summer events and come on this side of the water. That is three hours away including a ferry trip. Don't know of anyone else though.

Bethany