How do you tell a goat's age?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by andiplus5, Mar 12, 2008.

1. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

I have a doe that, according to the previous owner, was born March 2007. That would make her 1 yo. Her dam is saanen and her sire is my boer/nubian buck. But....she is barely bigger than my 7 week old obie/alpine buck. How do I tell how old she really is. :??? I have had 2 ppl tell me already that she NOT a yearling. One said she looked about 4 or 5 months old. So how do I figure out who is right? I need to know when to breed her, but if she doesn't get any bigger I can't. :(
    Thanks in advance,
    Andi

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

You can usually tell with their teeth is what most do..

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

4. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

So according to the website if she loses her front teeth soon she is as old as they say. Should she be so small? How long should it take for her to get big?
    Andi

Went and checked the teeth and unfortunately they are loose. So I don't know if she is stunted or a runt or is just taking time to grow. Anybody know???

5. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

My goat will be a yearling next month. This I KNOW. She though looks like a much younger goat because of her size. I figured it was because her growth was stunted because she was accidently bred at 5 months. But I recently visited her twin sister whom I KNOW is not bred. She was the same size (though not as wide. lol ). I'm thinking that some goats could just be late bloomers and do a lot of their growing later than some. I could be wrong in this so I will let others more experienced answer. Just a thought.
    (She could also be stunted in growth from others things as well.)

-Kim

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

She should weigh at least 80 at 7 mo old or to be bred. so get a tape and measure her and get your weight on her. have you wormed for tapes?? have you kept up on cocci treatments and worming??

7. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

She's definitely fit and healthy. She's been taken care of since I've had her. She is just well........a smaller version of a real goat.... :rofl

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Then wait to breed her next fall.

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

""""She is just well........a smaller version of a real goat...."""""

:rofl I got a pen full of 'em that resemble that remark.