How do you hold the bag

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Keeperofmany, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

:help How do you guys that put milk into baggies hold the bag? What do you use if anything? When I pour my milk into the bag I have to do it by myself. I am trying to hold the funnel with the filter in it and the bag with the same hand and pour the milk into the bag with the other hand. I try to keep the bottom of the bag sitting on the cupboard but it usually ends up sinking and I get milk over everything. :crazy

2. steffb

steffb New Member

Try putting the bag into a container, like a quart jar. Just be sure the container needs to be bigger than the bag so you can get it out easily.

3. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I strain into a jar and then pour the jar into the bag. That way I can hold the bag with one hand and the jar with the other.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I also strain into my 1/2 gal jar then use a gallon sized glad ziplock bag which is put into a bowl /pan or I have a tupperware juice container that just holds the bag for me, then I pour from the jar to the bag and know I have 1/2 gal in the bag.

5. Truly

Truly New Member

I pour my milk into a measuring pitcher so that I know it has been measured properly. Then I pour from there into the gallon size plastic bag. Therefore, 1/2 gallon milk in 1 gallon bag. I set the bag in the sink, hold it with my left hand and pour milk from the pitcher in my right hand.

I filter my milk in the barn. I pour it from the bucket into 3/4 gallon jugs thru the filters at that time. So it's already filtered when I get into the house. I put the jugs into a canvas bag to carry into the house. It makes it easier to carry, for me anyway.

6. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho New Member

I actually just rest the bag in the sink -- Then I hold the funnel and filter with my left hand -- along with the top of the bag -- then pour with my right :)

Tracy

7. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

I use a plastic bowl.. it's actually an oblong ice cream bucket.. Bunny Tracks.
    I also measure with a measuring cup.. then pour into the bag. I use the ziplock freezer bags.. if I don't have any MRE bags free.
    Before you ask.. MRE is military issue Meals Ready to Eat.. and they have plastic bags inside that is used to mix drinks.. hot or cold beverages. They have measurements on the side.. and seal at the top. Absolutely great for the freezer and are more narrow and tall, which when thawed a bit.. fit into my lye bowl perfect.
    If I had known they would be this useful.. I would have gathered all I could. I only accidented on them when I ran out of regular freezer bags.
    (MRE's were Katrina food for us for a few weeks)

Rett

8. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Rett,
    I may still have a few MRE bags left. Those were great meals and highly appreciated.
    I'll look to see if I have some left and if I do I can let you know when I'm comming into Wiggins.
    Tamera

9. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho New Member

That's a great idea -- I'm going to go dig through the remains of my MRE's -- I'm strange and I really like to eat them <g>

Tracy

10. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Guess they're a lot better when you don't HAVE to eat them everyday! If anyone wants some MRE bags, I can do that---they sell them at the commissary on base.

11. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Oh my gosh.. I would LOVE to have some.

Tamara... yes please.. if you have any.. I will trade ya something!!
    I love to barter!!! Besides.. we love to meet goat folks.
    Come on by.. coffee is 'almost' always made!!

and yep.. we did get real tired of the MRE's.. but what ya gonna do.
    It gives me a healthy respect for our men and women who have to eat those things!!

Haven't thought of checking the commissary!! I'll check there.

Thanks everyone!!!

Rett