How do you clean the kids off after birth?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Kalne, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I'm not sure what we're doing different this year but it is not working. We have towels & blankets designated for animal use (house discards and yard sale purchases). I guess it's because of the colder weather and wanting to get the kids inside ASAP and dried off we're bringing more 'stuff' in on those towels. THe last batch I had to trash. I just couldn't get them clean there was so much gunk on them. I can't think of anything disposable to use for that first wiping off. So what do you do?

2. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

Just a suggestion: I use empty feedbags opened up for the doe to deliver onto and the towels to clean up, so most of the "mess" goes onto the bags and the towels are reserved just for wiping off/out mouths and heads. Also, paper towels; I buy the cheapies for this job.

-- Wendy

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I use what ever mostly towels

4. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I have cheapie designated birth towels... they come clean just fine on sanitary in my washer... we kidded in Jan this yr and it was still fine.

5. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

Scrape gunk off with paper towels or newspaper, then wrap in cloth towels. Feed sacks are nice to birth on. Bed pads would also work, or puppy pads. Keeps the fluids and stuff in one thing so there is actually less clean up to do.

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Ok, gross I know...but I squeegy the kids. Start at the head and run my hand down both sides, then the legs to get the yuck off, then into a towel.
    Kaye

7. I use cheap paper towels to get the goo off, then use towels to dry the kids.

8. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I'm with Kaye in that I'll get most of the sticky gunk off the kids with my hands. hey they wash easer than nasty towels! after I get most of the sack off I'll use the towels for major drying.

-Melissa

9. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Here kid is placed on a clean feed sack then wiped off (or squeegeed, as Kaye said) with newspaper. Kid is then wrapped in a bath towel and placed in a plastic tote to be carried to the house while the old sack and newspapers are rolled up to be burned.

10. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

This is our plan for this year. I've got a stack of feed sacks in the kidding stall now waiting for our first gal to finally give up those kids. :) Last year we used LOTS of cheap towels. Friends and family still save them for us, but I think the newspaper idea is brilliant. I remember doing laundry 24/7 last year with only 3 births/9 kids.

11. GallopingGoats

GallopingGoats New Member

I throw all of my towels into a bucket of soapy water that I have waiting. Then when I am ready I hang them on a fence and spray the biggest gunk off with the hose, then they go in the washer. Shannon

12. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I'm with Kaye on this one :biggrin I just use my hands to 'squeegy' the gunk off from head to rump, then down the legs and the goo goes in a bag.. I have tried to get them to birth on an open feed sack, but there must be a trick to it, because my does don't always just lay there! they move all over the place and the bag gets full of straw and I get frustrated!.. and well, let's just say that once I found out how easy it was to just hold 'em an wipe that sticky stuff off, I now just use those bags for trash. We aslo got some inexpensive towels at Sam's to finish wiping them and they go in the washer..
    Now if you have towels with dried goo (though, doe's it ever really dry??) you can pick the stuff off and then wash.
    Have fun with those babies!!

13. VickiLynne

VickiLynne New Member

Somehow over the course of my life I have acummulated too many towels. So I cull towels during the year and put them in a plastic tote designated for kidding. We birth on open feed sacks and use the designated kid towels and then throw them away in the burn barrel. We don't wash them. Since the kids are grown and there is only two of us, we don't need that many towels. I have also used a horse sweat scraper (the curved rubber one) to get the majority of the slime off before I towel them.

Vicki in NC

14. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I too use my hands to remove most of the gunk also if it isn't too cold out I let the mom do most of the work I just make sure all the gunk is off the head and mouth and let her do most of the clean up then I use a towel to finish drying them.

Autumn

15. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

I use puppy pads and towels and put them in a bucket of water and then hang them out if anything is still on them I use the hose or rain. then wash.

16. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Okay.....I think the problem is they are not wiping them down at all before wrapping them in the towels whereas last year they did. And there is just no way that is coming off. Hosing them down would work but is not an option this time of year. So.....gotta get the workers in line. LOL

17. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Me too, the kids are delivered into a feed sack I kneel on. I hold them up by the hind legs and squeegy them off with my other hand, there isn't anything left on them when they are taken to the dairy sink and deposited into it filled with towels. I use white shop rag towels, and discards from the house, and all my family and even my hairdresser saves towels for me. Since the kids don't touch the barn floor and I take care to get all the amniotic sack off them, it's only fluid on the towels. I store the towels in a 5 gallon bucket with soapy water in it and do barn laundry each night so clean towels are coming out with me in the morning. Yep organized and anal. Vicki

18. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

We still love you :)