How do they GET worms?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

OK, hypothetically, you take a baby at birth, keep it in a place where there have never been goats before and raise it, how does it get worms???

I know that I read somewhere that a small wormload is somehow a good thing for goats, so I'm not trying to find a way to have NO worms, and I know you can't.. but with this scenario it just seems impossible.. I mean, the babies won't get CL or CAE from an infected dam, but worms?

2. Theresa

Theresa New Member

There are worms or worm eggs in the enviorment. They are brought in by birds, dogs, wild life. So they are already there. Then the kid will ingest them and that gives the worms the oppurtunity to multiply. Then after you have goats for awhile, you have worms all over your land. So the key is to keep the worm burden low. And you might not have as many problems with the goats at first because there are not alot of worms, but the longer you have goats, or livestock, the more worms that you will have. It is why you have to have a management program.
    Theresa

3. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Good question Ashley I wondered the same thing.

Thanks for the answer Theresa.

Also why is the worm burden greater in the South? I am guessing because of the hard freezes in the North. Are the eggs etc killed by freezing weather?

My weather fluctuates a lot, In the summer it can be over 100 F for 10 days in a row and in the winter it can be below 10 for weeks at a time. The Humidity is pretty low here keeping things dried out, It may be that this helps as well?

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you do move your kids out of the vagina to a clean pen, then to land that doesn't have animals, you really wouldn't need to use prevention at all. With no access to occysts and worms in the soil, they can't get infected. But they also build no resistance either. Why when you have had goats for very long and you purchase goats from people who have, don't bring them home and put them out with your goats who really have little immunity to worms or cocci, because they poop out levels of both into your barn and soil that can harm your goats while never effecting the goats you just purchased.

Yes freeze is key and so is arid, but it has to be arid, no humidity at all. Eggs and occyst live until the tiniest amount of soil, float up with the dew, or rain and are reaten in the grass, or are on the feet of your goats who then stand on the hay or their feeders and put larve back into their mouths. This has got to be the number one way kids get parasites, and I don't care who you are there is no way of keeping pens that clean. A freeze will kill them in open soil, but not in a warm barn, so alot overwinter parasties in their goats or bedding.

Burning your pastures, days of 100 degree weather, pasture rotation are all meaningless if you don't have a deep freeze or arid conditons which takes the moisture away from the egg and kills it, dries it out, freezes it. You pasture rotate your goats back in to the pasture, the eggs and larve are just waiting in the soil :)

Down south we have soo much humidity and even though we have had a good freeze, it was just at night and the water troughs were clear by 10 am chores. With soo much humidity you wear rubber shoes to walk across the grass or it soaks your feet every morning, even in the summer months. Plus heat from prolonged bad weather and humidity stresses your goats....less milk, more worms...not the best place to raise goats. Vicki

5. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

I was just wondering the same thing. I have a rule for my kid pens that no animal goes in them within a 100 day period that kids will be going in them. I wash walls and the floor (smooth cement) with hot soapy water after the kids are moved out and into the doe barn. I am a little over the top with newborns, but want them going into a clean pen...
    Up here we are lucky to have good hard freezes, they are hard to work in but worth it if I don't have to deal with a worm overload. We had a pretty warm winter this year I did not see any extra worms in my herd, but alot of other breeders got hit hard with worms. One breeder was telling me her son had a very big worm overload in their sheep flock, lost 20 or 30 ewes because of it coming on so fast and they couldn't find out what worm it was. It turned out to be a new worm that was a super bug that no wormer was able to kill.

I have a couple questions if you don't mind Ashley? Vicki, we in the past used peat moss soil as a bedding to keep all the urine under control. I noticed that year a higher worm load on the kids. I used extra shavings this year and it cleared the problem up. Am I maybe just thinking it helped or could the soil have worms already in it?
    At what tempature do the worm eggs die at? Does it have to be a long cold spell or just a cold cold night?
    (Ok done, I hope you diddn't mind Ashley.:))

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Anything you do to the soil that keeps it warm, and doesn't allow it to freeze is going to promote eggs and larve living in that soil over even your winter.

I have no idea what temp it is, but I know it has to freeze. Although we get freeze, our soil does not freeze. We don't build with a building code that requires any thought to "digging down below the frost line".

Texas A&M Edwards Plateau is who has done all the work on small ruminant parsitology that I learned from....they have a website if you want to google. vicki