How do Mineral requirements differ between meat and dairy goats

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by nitrors4, Jul 28, 2008.

1. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

I was wondering if the mineral requirements for a dairy goat differ from a meat goat.

What do you guys think?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I think it's very similar, the difference is that meat goats are bred once a year, they nurse 2 kids for 3 months and then are dry, still being fed grain for the remainder. Now if you bred for 2 sets of kids in 3 years, milked them after weaning, than I think you would see more defficency on plain minerals than you would.

The more natural the diet in our area, the less minerals fed, less sacked grains with minerals in them, the more defficency you see because we are soo high in iron and low in selenium and copper.

Dairy goats it's the same. Some folks don't milk them, they dry them up after they wean the kids. The difference in dairy goats is that they are genetically wired to make milk, some to the detriment of their bodies when not managed correctly. It takes alot of nutrition including understanding the vitamins and minerals in your area, to keep a doe in milk for 10 months, kid out each year with 1, 2, 3, or 4 kids stay in good enough condition to run to shows now and then or to stay in good condition with the stressors of living in a dairy. Our kid averages for our girls is 3 kids, even our young first fresheners kidding out at 13 and 14 months.

When ever you push the envelope for more kids, for more milks, for heavier wieghts in your meat kids at weaning, more pregnancy than once a year you will see more problems with defficency.

Also in meat goats, not cleaning, poor feet, sunfaded red heads, huge worm and cocci burdens they can't control, are facts of life, it isn't until someone meets someone who isn't having those problems anymore (fixed through a sound mineral program) do they find out that those things are not normal. Vicki

3. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Great points.

So if a mineral is labeled made for meat goats, but meets the deficiencies in your area it would be good for dairy goats as well?

Do you have your soil tested to see what it is deficient in? If so, where do you have it tested?

4. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

We feed our boers and nubians techmaster complete. When feeding free choice, the nubians eat it up, but the boers were ignoring it, so we started mixing just a little in with their (the boers) feed every day to make sure they eat it. Since we started, all of our goats (meat and milk) are alot shinier, growing better, and the dry rough coats are gone. We never realized how much they needed their minerals (even though we used to put out salt blocks and baking soda) until we started using the right kind of minerals and took away the other sources. (Thanks Vicki!)

We use the same minerals for both our boers and nubians, with excellent results. We do have a couple of goats (boers) showing mild copper deficiency, but are going to bolus them at the end of the week after we get our copper in and capsules so we can do so. I am sure that will help them.

Tara

5. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Where do you oder your copper from?

6. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Oh also what minerals are you all using?

7. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

You can order copper capsules called Copasure from Valley Vet or Jeffers Livestock. Their in large capsule size for calves that you need to break down by weight for goats and put into smaller capsules. Valley Vet also carries the smaller capsule sizes.

Ray

8. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Are they hard or granular capsules?

9. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

If you are referring to the contents, they are copper rods.

Sara

10. NubianSoaps.com

Sannendoah.com is a must read. There wasn't alot of need for soil analysis, our iron ore in our water told us most of the story. Plus you animals would need to be gleaning about 90% of their nutrition from your pastures....we feed about 90% of our goats diet in alfalfa pellets, hay and grain in which I have no idea where it comes from. I think this is why I only bolus bucks and kids and does who are ill or having more worm burdens than the rest of the herd, or incoming stock. I do think if we had to move away from sacked feeds and to them browsing for a living we would see alot more problems in our milkers. Vicki

11. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Not sure if I have iron ore in my well water as the type of well I have removes the iron during the pumping process. Even when I was running off of the front well, we did not seem to have an iron issue, but who knows. I do know my soil is hard and I sit on top of tons of clay. Drives me crazy when it is fence post time. :crazy

Did some looking and the co-op in Bryan will test soil for cheap. I might have it tested just to see what all I have. It will wait until the barn is done though. :help

I will read some on the site tomorrow. People were actually requesting stuff from me today so I had to work. Sigh

12. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

You can get the empty capsules for making your own boluses on ebay for really cheap. Like 1000 "00" for almost $14 with shipping included. Valleyvet.com and others are about $14 for 100. I ordered the copasure 12.5mg from valleyvet for close to $40, and this will make 312.5 grams (after dumping all the capsules out)and goat dosage is 1g/22lbs, so it will be plenty for our goats. http://www.saanendoah.com/copper1.html has the info about making your own boluses about 2/3 of the way down the page. Read all the info if you have time. Lots of great info!!!

Tara

13. NubianSoaps.com

Lets see, dirt roads around you are red. Clay in Texas is red iron ore. Red dirt, red iron ore, yep I bet you have iron :)

Wow you actually had to work? :) Is your phone still ringing :) vicki

14. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Thanks Tara!

Man I have not done so much reading in years. Every night I read a goat book until my eyes will not stay open any longer.

15. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Yea maybe a little iron. HEHE

Yes I am having to work again this morning, but maybe not as much as I should. LOL

I killed that thing! I had over 10,000 emails when I got to work yesterday. Not funny! :rofl

I can only be mad at myself since I setup the alerts.

16. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Figured I might as well add them to the goat cabinet. It has been growing every week. :biggrin

I need to get a list of what all I have for you all to review.

17. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Do a search on the forum. This has been covered numerous times. In fact just recently.

Sara

18. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Will do. I saw some of the stuff I needed in the 101 section and have got most of it, but not all. Stuff is not cheap when you start to add it up. :/

Off to search I go!