how do I put her down? Pics added.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

She just puked up colostrum and is crying.
    She has very bubbly breathing and all the suctioning I do she just makes more mucas.
    It's time now.

2. Corky

Corky New Member

Re: how do I put her down?

:down DH just took her out and shot her.
    She was strangeling on colostrum.

Molly has just had her last kids. Thats it!
    She is too old and I am not going to put either one of us through this again. I just can't take it.

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I'm so sorry Corky. It's never easy to lose a goat or to have to put one down.

Hang in there.

Sara

4. Corky

Corky New Member

I don't know if I am ever going to be tough enough to do that.

I know she had problems but I think the Vet and I killed her.

They tubed her just a tiny amount and milk came out her nose.

I tubed her all day long and milk never came out her nose but she puked it up and as goats are not supposed to be able to puke then it must have been in her lungs. She coughed up a lot of it.
    I never want to tube another kid!

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I am so sorry too. It's the hardest thing we do as caretakers.. :down

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I'm so sorry Corky. That is very hard to go through. Hugs to you.

7. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I'm sorry Corky :sniffle
    Christy

8. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

So sorry, that you lost her.. it is so hard sometimes...
    Barbara

9. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I'm so sorry.

10. Re: how do I put her down?

Im so sorry. :(

11. Chaty

Chaty New Member

:sniffle I am so sorry for your loss... :down

12. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I'm sorry you lost her. I know how that feels. I lost a newborn doeling this morning too. I know what you mean about tubing. I tubed one last week and she's doing great. I tubed one last night and she got rattly and never came around for me. We just gotta try our best with them. Kathie

13. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

:sniffle I am sorry,I have been there and it aint easy :down

14. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I am so sorry...:(

15. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

I'm so sorry. I had two kids die from my doe that had triplets. We think the doeling got smothered or laid on and one of the bucklings died this afternoon. He'd gotten chilled; we got him inside and warmed him up, gave him fluids and some B complex vitamins and tubed him with some colostrum, and he got up and was walking around and bothering momma and his sibs, but then we found him in the kid pen next to his sister (who was dead) cold again. He never seemed to recover from that and he just gave up this afternoon.

I'm sort of upset about it because we had bred Annabelle to one of our Nubian bucks because I wanted to try and get a black doe. I wasn't really expecting the black color, but we were surprised with two black bucks, but the little doeling was colored like her sire who is gorgeous and I was glad to get another Nubian doe. The rest of our does we bred to our Boer buck to build our meat herd. So I was already quite attached to little Shona and was quite upset when we found her. And the buck...Well, how do you not care about something that small and in need? But all we can do is do our best, even when it's not good enough.

Take care,

Wendy

16. Corky

Corky New Member

Thanks guys. It is good to hear from someone that really understands.
    Today SH took all the nasty towels to the laundramat for me and ran into some of my Friends there.
    He told them about what was going on and they said put them both down and get rid of the Mama too.

Like some of you here, they are thinking about the business end of farming.

They are right but they also don't understand that even though Molly is old and did not have quality kids, she is my first goat and my Friend and I would never sell her. I also will keep the remaining doe if she survives and unless Molly squishes her she will. She is Mollys DD and I want to keep those lines because even though Molly is not a registered show goat she has the best milk we have ever tasted by far and I want to for centamental reasons too.
    Molly won't be with me much longer.
    Due to the flood we just survived I named her Stormy.

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Oh Corky am so sorry just know that you all tried and that is all any of us can do. It is never easy. Hugs to you both.

Glad you have one doeling and love the name Stormy it is fitting. Molly has led a good life and done you well, I'm with you she could have a home and care til the end.

18. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Well, I guess we're just going to have to say a prayer for little Stormy! No squishings! she was the bigger of the two, right?

19. Corky

Corky New Member

yes she weighed almost 6 lbs. She was walking around wobbly but walking tonight.
    DH went up and put her to the teat and she was standing and nursing while Molly incouraged her.

20. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I hope your lil doe makes it ! I really understand as we had a older 3 legged doe that was our first goats,this doe lost her front leg by a car before I could find the people home to buy them as we needed brush goats,we kept Dottie until 2 seasons back and she had twin bucks and it left her with pelvic damage and she had trouble with her back legs then so we fed her and son shot her and buried her down by our old cemetery thats on our land, we both cried over this old unregistered doe that was sorta wild and was only a brush goat but we still have her daughter doe and she is just as healthy as ol Dottie girl as neither had ever been ill and we still breed the dd to the boer buck. I still think of ol Dottie at times as we all loved her like your dear Molly :sigh