How do I know if its pinkeye?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Halo-M Nubians, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I have a doeling that is sold and I'm supposed to meet her buyer next weekend. She is 7 months old-I noticed last week that one eye was swollen almost shut with swelling around the socket. Took a look in it and didn't see any irritant so thought maybe she got bashed. No tearing at all totally dry around the eye. I checked the next day and the swelling was down some, inner eye still seemed irritated but I thought it was on the mend and honestly had a bunch of stuff going on this week and forgot about it. I noticed yesterday that is was still swollen a little and starting to cloud near the lower eyelid, flushed it with saline and contacted the buyer to let her know :sigh. She raises cows and mentioned pinkeye.

I've never had it, or seen it so didn't think about it. I thought it had to be "caught" from another infected animal. Now that I've done some reading I see that isn't the case. I've given the doeling bio-mycin drops and covered with triple antibiotic ointment and will continue to do so. Until I started messing with it it never ran or was wet. The inner eyelid is rather inflamed and covering the eye more than usual. My worry was that she was injured and the swelling is causing the lower lid to rub the eye, causing the clouding. Like etropia-which I've seen. I've looked over the other doelings in the pen and they look fine so far. Is there anything more I can do?

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Give her Bio-mycin injections for 2 days~24hrs. apart. 3cc/100#. Be prepared for knots. Put triple antibotic (neosporin) in the eye twice a day.
    Keep putting the antibiotic in the eye until it's completely healed.
    Kaye

3. haeema

haeema New Member

When would you us the NFZ Puffer?

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I don't ever use the puffer only neosporin and the bio-mycin

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

With the puffer......blow some in your eye and see how bad it hurts! Besides the pain from the pink-eye...imagine putting sand in there, also. I personally think the stuff should be banned from use!

I NEVER use any type of powder in the does eyes for any reason! I won't even put LA-200 in the eye...as suggested on many lists. I've had syringes blow up with Bio-Mycin and IT BURNS when gotten in the eye.
    Kaye

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

"""I've had syringes blow up with Bio-Mycin and IT BURNS when gotten in the eye.
    Kaye""""

Sorry......I'm not trying to change the subject, but I've got to ask about this since this could be potentialy hazardous. In my many years of fooling around with all sorts of animals, and working with vets....I've never seen nor heard of this happening before. .....and since this is "been there done that Kaye", I know you are serious.
    .....so Kaye, I assume that you figured out what went wrong.....so would you share with us what to do to keep this (exploding syringe) from happening to us in the future.

Sincerely, WHIM

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:biggrin Use Luer-Lock syringes instead of Luer-slip and anytime you take a new needle/syringe combo out of the package give the needle a little twist to lock it. Some of the needles are loose,even new.
    And don't get in a hurry to give the shot! Beginners sometimes think..."QUICK get it in the animal" and put too much pressure on the plunger.(as with cattle or wild horses) or they try to use a too small guage needle for the meds.
    Kaye

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

LOL! You could be describing all my experiences the first year I gave all my own shots :blush......I never bought luer slip syringes again!

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Goat Medicine, our only vet text is as adamant about the non use of puffers or aresoles in the eyes as Kaye is. Vicki

10. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Her eye is clearing up nicely. Swelling is gone, red is gone. This morning I could still see the cloudy spot, but I"m hoping that will heal soon.

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Keep on with the neosporin until the spot is gone.
    Kaye

12. MeadowValleyFarm

MeadowValleyFarm New Member

I saw what we think was pink eye and we had thought that the pinkeye had caused the animal to go blind. Ya know when the eye is covered with a cloudy blue/white. We were just about to call it quiets, but then with the use of medicens we were able to bring the goat out of it. (We really thought that there was no hope and we have had cattle that did the same thing years ago and we just called them blind and sent them to butcher so just don't give up on the aminal is what I'm trying to say)