How contagious is CAE other than dam to kids

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by susie, May 7, 2008.

1. susie

susie New Member

I have a neighbor down the road who has a old lame doe that she just sent in blood for CAE testing. Negative test prior, but has gone lame w/o any apparent reason that she can see. I went over there and I can't see any reason either -hooves are good, seems to be lame front and back. doe spends alot of time on her knees , even walking on them. She also creaks when she walks-- is that a sign of CAE? I don't see swelling of any joints.
    She's worried that it might be CAE and is wondering how worried she should be about the rest of her herd ( also tested neg) This particular doe was purchased at weaning, was a bottle baby, supposedly from CAE neg herd. I don't know if she saw the test results or not, but I do know that the doe herself tested neg.
    She doesn't want to spend $$ on her at the Vets and is going to cull ( slaughter) her this week-end-- she was on the cull list before this happened.
    So I'm not really sure what to tell her as far as how concerned she should be for the remaining herd if the doe 's test results are positive.

Thanks,
    Susie

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It rarely strikes all limbs like this. It's nearly always the front knees and they become swollen, flattened with wellings to the sides as the girls walk more and more on them. There can be some swollen hocks but this isn't anything like what happens to the knees.

Did she get into grain recently or got new hay that is better quality than she is used to? She could have foundered also.

But to, poor conformation will finally get a doe in the end if she has not had good hoof care along with it, wet soils or spongy soils like we have here in the woods, without excellent minerals the goats don't last.

Wait for the results to come back and then deal with the results. But it isn't likely a purchased kid is showing positive now after many many years...how old is this doe? vicki

3. susie

susie New Member

I think she's 2 or 3 yrs old.
    I would say that the front legs looked likewerehurting but know how to tell which leg it is when they are limping. She says she sees her walking on her knees all the time.
    I was thinking founder too, but she states that there's nothing new or unusual that would have caused it. She is dry, so is a little chunky.

excuse the typos for some reason my letters are getting erased while I'm typing...?

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

check inbetween the toes also

5. susie

susie New Member

for foot scald?? or foreign object? we did- soaked em clean so we could investigate

what would cause the creaking noise when she walks?

susie

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

same as me old age sorry couldn't resist
    we had a doe that had a growth in between her toes was why I asked.

7. susie

susie New Member

ha ha :) Bet you can't sneak up on anyone! seriously that must hurt

Susie

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Susie sometime they just creak for no rhyme or reason

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

She is not old enough for any of this to be caused by age. Vicki

10. Ashley

Ashley Active Member